Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Love Note; And It's Not Even a Love Day!

Pin It


Happy Tuesday, Crafty Stampers!

Two weeks ago, I won a Featured Artist gig at Doodle Palace Designs. As Featured Artist, my pleasure was to chose this week's Doodle Palace challenge. So, today's card project was created for that:

This week's challenge as chosen by yours truly is a 'dealer's choice.' You can play along by creating a project based on the following themes:

1. A color challenge (strictly black & red & one neutral);

2. A challenge to use chipboard;

3. A challenge to create a graduation card or gift;

4. A challenge to use numbers and/or letters on your project;

5. A challenge to use recycled/upcycled items (a vintage dictionary page was used here);

6. A challenge to create a "vintage-inspired" project.

OR, any combination of the above.

For all of the challenging deets, and to play along, clicky HERE to visit Doodle Palace.

I also created this card with the current Play Date Cafe 'Color Splash' challenge in mind. I looked at the inspiration photo and saw black, white and a splash of red. 'Cuz I'm color-blind. But when I went to create the link-up for this blog post, I took a closer look and saw it was ... ummm, orange. So, here it is anyway, PDCC Ladies ... I hope it's okay to link up with you, but I missed the last two challenges and I promised myself that I would get an entry in this week iff'in' it killed me! 'Cuz even though I can't read, am color-blind, and need to adjust my monitor, I love you guys. For all the fabulous PDCC25 challenge details, clicky HERE. And feel free to count me out of the contest, I just wanted to participate ... said bravely 'cuz those stamps are Da. Bomb. and I covet them!

I stamped my vintage-inspired image on 'Very Vanilla' card stock, matted it with 'Real Red,' and tied a twill alphabet ribbon around the image. I adhered a salvaged dictionary page to my card base and added some 'Blackboard' chipboard letters and numbers. A l'il label created with my newly rediscovered Dymo label maker and two die-cut stars and I was done!

For the ginormous view of my card, clicky on the photo ... and for all the challenging product info, check out the Card Recipe, below.

Sooooooo, yesterday I was hangin' out at Sheila's when we got to talking about back exercises ... exercises that I'm supposed to do almost daily. Sheila told me she had just read about this great, easy exercise that would help strengthen my back muscles and relieve pain.

"Sounds good; show me." I said.

And off we go to her bedroom so she can walk me through the exercise. Now, before you get any funny ideas, the reason we went to her bedroom is 'cuz it's carpeted. The rest of her house ... like my house and virtually every house in South Florida ... has tile floors throughout ... except for bedrooms. And tile is very unforgiving, especially on my already sore back, kwim?

So, I get down on the floor alongside her bed and in doing so, noticed something under her bed. It was a note, from her DH, on which was written, "Sheila, it's been more than two years since we re-carpeted our bedroom. Don't you think it's time to clean under here? Love, Ken."

And, I hasten to add, it was really closer to three years when we found this note. I'm sure Sheila wanted you to know that detail, too!

~Hugs,


Today's Challenges:

Card Recipe:
  • Card Stock: "Basic Black," "Real Red," and "Very Vanilla" Card Stock by Stampin' Up
  • Other Paper: Vintage (1951) Dictionary Page
  • Stamp: Time to Stamp
  • Ink: "Basic Black" Dye Ink by Stampin' Up; "Old Paper" Distress Ink by Ranger
  • Accessories: "Retro" Blackboard Chipboard by Cosmo Cricket; Twill Alphabet Ribbon by Remember When
  • Tools: Die-Cut Machine; Star-Shaped Dies; Dymo Label Maker; Sponge Tool; Stampin' Dimensionals and SNAIL Adhesive by Stampin' Up
  • Finished Size: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" (Top Folded)
Shop for Stampin' Up products online ... 24/7 ... HERE

44 comments:

Velta said...

LOL...You have got the greatest personality...I laughed when I read this post...not about your creation, but about the note under the bed...Thank you for sharing, I needed that!

Michele said...

LOL!!! You crack me up!!!! Your graduation card is FABULOUS too!!!

LeAnne said...

Awesome card....and another challenge to add to my list!
Hope your back is feeling better!

Linda Ledbetter said...

Fantabulous! Love the card, love the blog! Thanks for livin' it up with the Drunken Stampers, too!

purplestamper316 said...

love this card! i like the dictionary page idea but always forget to use it :) awesome as usual <3

Tina said...

Girl, this is awesome! Love the pop of color.

Danni said...

Simply wonderful!

Joan said...

I'm not sure how I've missed visiting you for the past couple of days. I've missed your cards and stories so I'll have to scroll down and catch up. This is a very cute card for a grad!!!!
And.....cleaning under the bed....we're suppose to do that????

Karen said...

Very nice and so different too, thanks for joining us at DCD.
xx

Julie Ranae said...

As far as I'm concerned Deb, you can make anything you want for us! : )

This is a great interpretation of 'color splash'...and close enough ; )

Crystal said...

Deb this is AWESOME!!!!!! I am LOVIN this design, what a great card!

CuddlyBunny said...

Adore the imagery on your card and your "under the bed" story.

And because I enjoy sharing helpful advice: It should no longer be Sheila's job to clean under the bed. After all, it's Ken who noticed the need. Ha ha. ;)

Stephanie said...

Wow, what a great card! Thanks for joining us at Scrappy Frogs. Stephanie

Lisa Somerville said...

Such a creative graduation card, thanks for playing at the PDCC.

Rosanne said...

Terrific card!

Chris said...

very cool card! the colors fabulous...

you don't even want to know wat's under my bed...lol

redwasher1 said...

Awesome card Deb!!

Suzanne C said...

Love the design! Great images and lovely card. Thanks for playing along with us at PDCC!

Sharli said...

Great orange, black and white card Deb!! LOVIN' it!

3 years? I might be getting close to that number myself! Who's got time to clean UNDER the bed?!?! I can barely keep up with cleaning in the bed!

Hugs!

Gemma said...

Hi Deb, great story! But it's a waste of time to clean under the bad when you are so busy making beautiful things, always a good excuse or not! Your card is super! Love the black and white with the touch of red! Thank you for joining us at SSC and take care of you back! Gemma

mustangsarah said...

An awesome card. I love it.
Thanks for playing along with us on SSC.

Theresa Momber said...

Hee hee! (runs off to check for notes under my bed)

Fab challenge and card!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

WOW--this is FAB! I need to start thinking of graduation cards! Thanks for sharing and playing along with us at the PDCC!

Sprytebyrd said...

Wonderful card!
Thanks so much for joining us this week at Stamptacular Sunday! ♥ Good luck on the challenge!
Dee (Spryte)

Sarah Anderson said...

lol Deb what are you like?!! glad you got your card in in time to play, even if you did get the colour wrong! But at least it was only the one, and the splash is right :) Thanks for choosing the play date colours to work with.

mommy2lou said...

very vintage and classy.
THis card will stand out from all the last minute drug store cards!

Thanks for joining in at Stamptacular SUnday!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What an awesome challenge and stunning graduation card!! Love your colors, chipboard and recycled paper!! Thanks for joining the ODBD Shining the light Challenge Deb!! You know I love visiting your blog!!
hugs,
Chris

Toni said...

the card is gorgeous, and I laughed out loud when I read about the note under the bed! Thanks for sharing (:

Biscuitlid said...

what a fabulous creation, I love the chunky lettering you've used.

Great to see you at Die Cut Dreams
Hugs
Victoria
x

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Deb, what an awesome way to recycle an old book! Great card!! Thanks so much for taking the time to play along with us this week in our Shining the Light Challenge!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina (ODBD CT)

Maria Matter said...

gosh, the days just fly by, where the heck was I all week?! lol


GORGEOUS card Deb & wowza, what a great challenge!

too funny about the note under the bed...I might have one of those too, but it's guarded by killer dust bunnies by now!!!

Hope your back IS feeling better!
HUGS!!!

Jamie Lane said...

Your card is terrific! Thanks for joining us at Practical Scrappers!

donnacr said...

Great card ! Thanks for playing with us on DS !!!!

Nikki said...

Fab Grad Card :) Thanks for Playing Incy Wincy this Week
Hugs Nikki

Heather "Hev" said...

Very very cool :)

Thank you for joining us at Incy Wincy Designs Challenge this week :)

Would love it if you visited my blog Vanilla Hevn

Gail said...

great idea for the DS's challenge!!..lovely card..tfs..loves ya

Skraptacular Designs said...

Black and white...the perfect color combination for a graduation card! So easy and yet so elegant and sophisticated! Definitely my color combination of choice for grad cards this year...especially since I have about 100 to make this year.

Thank you for playing along with us at Stamptacular this week! Hope you'll join us for some more challenge fun again soon!

Hugs,
Priscilla

SweetnCrafty Gal said...

oh wow! i love the oversized letters! what a fab creation! thanks for playing at stamptacular this week! hugs carlyann xxx

Gloria Stengel said...

Favorite card I've seen today...and that's sayin' something! Trust me! Love everything about it. And...we are not supposed to clean under beds...that's why some woman invented bed skirts! HA! {giggle} Thanks for playing at 365 Cards!

Ann said...

Love your card Deb and your use of the chipboard! Hope your back is feeling better. Thanks for playing along in my challenge this week.

Mindy (Scrappy and Piggy) said...

Great card!!!!

Risa said...

Congratulations on being the featured artist at Die Cut Dreams Deb! Your cards are beautiful in every way and it is always a joy to visit your blog!
I was so busy congratulating you that I almost forgot to tell how gorgeous your card is. I LOVE the chipboard and your vintage style and color combos are fantastic!
hugs
Risa:)

Tam said...

Hi Deb,

Awesome creation.
Thank you for joining us at Incy Wincy Designs.
Good luck.
Tami

Annette Bowes said...

Amazing creation Deb, thanks for setting a wonderful challenge for us at Doodle Palace, had a little giggle at your story lol! Take CareX:)