Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Alcohol Ink Plaid ...

Pin It


Happy Stump Day, hampers!

Today's card project was created for Studio L3's Grungy Monday, #39. This week, the challenge, sponsored by Simon Says Stamp, is to create a plaid pattern on card stock using alcohol inks following Tim Holtz's technique on 'The 12 Tags of Christmas, 2009, Day 3." You can see Linda's sample and read all about the challenge, HERE ... to see Tim's projects and to check out the tutorial, clicky HERE.

Things were not going well for me with this challenge and after several attempts, I decided to throw in the towel ... can't create 'em all! While swiping off the excess alcohol inks from my felt pad, I created the above pattern and decided I loved it ... a happy accident! And I much prefer this delicate plaid to other, bolder patterns.

I'm entering this card in a number of fab blog challenges; for the complete list please refer to the bottom of this post. And for all of the exciting product info, check out the Card Recipe, below.

Soooooo, yesterday I was hanging out with Sheila when her crazy sister, Jill, stopped by with a question:

"How many rolls of wallpaper did you say you bought for your bedroom?"

"Twelve." Sheila answered.

"Well, that's weird," Jill mused, "I measured and our rooms are almost exactly the same size so I bought twelve rolls for my bedroom too, but I've got five rolls left over!"

"Yeah," said Sheila. "I did too."

Thanks so much for spending part of your busy day with me!

~Hugs,


Today's Challenges:

Card Recipe:

  • Card Stock: Stampers Select White Card Stock by PTI; Glossy White Card Stock by Ranger
  • Designer Paper: Lost and Found Paper Stash by Tim Holtz
  • Stamps: "Papillon" Stamp Set by Tim Holtz; "Stuff to Say" Stamp Set by Tim Holtz
  • Ink: "Jet Black" Archival Ink by Ranger
  • Other Color Medium: Assorted Alcohol Inks by Adirondack; "Juniper" Paint Dabber by Adirondack
  • Accessories: Washers, Long Fasteners, and Jump Ring by Tim Holtz; Philosophy Charm by Tim Holtz; Vintage Needlepoint Cotton by Jolles, Personal Collection
  • Tools: Felt Pad and Handle by Tim Holtz; Awl; Hammer; Foam Dimensionals
  • Finished Size: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"

45 comments:

Maria said...

Deb, I love your delicate plaid!! Very pretty and I love how it turned out as well! :)

~Tammy~ said...

Girl, this is COOL!

Danni said...

LOVE this card! Fabulous job!

Carol said...

I love your happy accident, a lot of things comes about because of happy accidents well done i will have to try it.

Doreen said...

This is just gorgeous.Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Sentiments this week.xxx

Adrian said...

Very cute! Thanks for playing @ CTO!

Sandra said...

Very pretty plaid. Love how you made this by accident. Very pretty!!

Kim said...

Nice technique, pretty results. Thanks for joining us at sweet stampin this week.

Marjie Kemper said...

Deb, this is one of the coolest plaids evah! Love the way we're all tweaking this one (seems like this technique in particular is very user-specific). I love your metals and the bright pop of green.

Amy said...

Great card- I love your stamping- great job! Thanks for playing at CTO this week!
:)Amy
Amy's Crafting Space
Celebrate The Occasion Design Team Member

Sharli Schaitberger said...

I just love this type of happy accident - it doesn't happen often (enough) for me, but I sure love the effect you got! Very cool!!!

Hugs!

debby4000 said...

Oh this is fabulous.
luv
Debby

Hetty said...

Very beautiful!

Craft-aholic said...

Love the plaid you created by accident!

Angela said...

Lovely card.
Thank you for joining us at Karen's Doodles Challenge Blog.

Becky said...

Love what you have done great background

Bunny said...

Lovely card...Thanx for joining us at Crafty Sentiments, and good luck.

Caz CS DT

Davi said...

Love the awesome plaid you created Beautiful :)

Ros said...

This is one fabulous creation ... many thanks for sharing it with us at CCCB

Shelly Hickox said...

Deb, I LOVE how yours came out!! Sometimes less is more and accidents can be very happy! :-)

Tonniece said...

Totally love it when that happens. Really love the softness of the plaid. Great card deb.
HUgs
Tonni

Rita said...

Your creation is fabulous Deb. I just love butterflies. Hugs Rita xxxx

mixamatoasties said...

Fabby card Deb.

Thanks for joining in at Sweet Stampin.

Susan x

girlia said...

Love the butterflies. Great job on this card. Thanks for joining us this week at CTO

Donna Bowman said...

Beautiful Deb! I love your plaid with the thin lines. It took me a few times to get the hang of it too! I love those butterflies. I just got them in my prize package from Tim and I can't wait to use them!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Very lovely stamp set and gorgeous work, thanks for playing along with us at CCCB!

Kim said...

I agree with you--a very happy accident! Your plaid just jumped off of Linda's blog for me...very clean and attractive!

Crystal said...

OOOOWEEE LOVE those butterflies and that tag girl!

Anita Houston said...

Your plaid turned out wonderful...I love love subtle it is! Great color choices as well...definitely feels of Spring!

Diane J said...

Lovely card. Thanks for sharing your card with us at FOREVER FRIENDS 'Add a Charm' challenge. Good Luck. Diane (DT) xx

Fae said...

Thank you for taking part in the Forever Friends fortnightly challenge 'Add a Charm. Good luck.

Very pretty.
Hugs, Fae (Fortnightly DT)

Becky B. said...

Oooo - such a pretty card, and plaid is my favorite color - ha! ha! ;)

Julie S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie S. said...

I love the vintage-y, rustic look of your plaid. A happy accident indeed. :)

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

This is wonderful. I love that your background doesn't overpower the rest.

Shelby said...

Wonderful creativity with your design! The background turned out beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Karen's Doodles

Shelby

Sara Jansen said...

Boy howdy - you are right about the plaids all being bold; but your's is fabulous...I just love how it came out. And I think this is a great background for a really good, lengthy sentiment. Great tag!

Esther said...

Lovely card!
I like the pattern you created by accident :)
Thanks for joining CTO this week!

Chris said...

gorgeous card!! love the colors!

Linda R said...

I just love this stamp also.. Thanks so much for playing along with us at CCCB!

Dilsaver Designs said...

Love your stamped images on your pretty DP, beautiful card! Thanks for joining us @ CTO for our "Any Occasion (must use metal)" challenge :)

Catherine said...

This is beautiful. Thanks for joining us at LCI this fortnight....

Julie said...

Stunning Deb!,thanks for joining the LCI anything goes challenge. Remember to leave a comment on the LCI post today for a chance of winning one of the day's new release digis! hope to see you there,Julie.x

DesignerDiva said...

I'm sorry I'm so late with my comment this week!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful creation with the Ladybugs and I hope you will join us again soon
Laurie x

Bethany Kartchner said...

This is really awesome. Your composition and the addition of the thread is amazing. Thanks for sharing this!