Monday, February 27, 2012

Black & White & Red All Over ...

Pin It


Happy Monday ... hope your weekend was long and wonderful!

Today's frightening card was created for Lisa Somerville's Blogger's Challenge. This week, it's a color challenge: black, white, and a splash of red.

I took the literal interpretation of 'a splash of red' by flicking red paint onto the card front using red acrylic paint on a toothbrush ... kinda looks like something that might be found at the scene of a crime, huh? However, no one was injured or kilt in the making of this card project ... it only looks that way! For all of the challenging deets, clicky HERE.

This card also qualifies for a number of fab challenges ... please refer to the bottom of this post for the complete list. And for the down-low on all of the product I used, check out the Card Recipe, below.

Sooooooooo, Sheila has the courage, if not always the skills, to tackle any home repair project. For example, in her garage are pieces of a lawnmower she once tried to fix.

This weekend, I got stuck offered to ferry Sheila's insane wacky sister, Jill, around town on her errands. (Now, that's a story for another day!) As I was returning her home, she suggested we swing by Sheila's for a quick visit.

I can't say we were surprised when we found Sheila attacking her vacuum cleaner with a screwdriver:

"I can't get this *%#$!* thing to cooperate," she explained when she saw us.

"Say, why don't you drag it out to the garage and show it what you did to the lawnmower?!?" Jill suggested.

Thanks so much for spending part of your busy day with me ... stay safe!

~Hugs,


Today's Challenges:

Card Recipe:
  • Card Stock: White Card Stock by PTI
  • Stamps: All Stamps from "Papillon" Stamp Set by Tim Holtz
  • Ink: "Black Soot" Dye Ink by Tim Holtz
  • Other Color Medium: Naphthol Red Light Fluid Acrylic Paint by Golden
  • Accessories: Film Strip Ribbon by Tim Holtz; Red Metal Photo Corner by Daisy D's; Black Eyelets
  • Tools: Tiny Attacher Tool by Tim Holtz; Crop-A-Dile by WRMK'ers; Corner Chomper b WRMK'ers; Old Toothbrush
  • Finished Size: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"

31 comments:

Rene said...

Very unique and creative! Thank you so much for joining us at Make it Monday! Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!
Rene :D

Evelyn S. said...

Definitely a way to use Tim's stamps and film tape! Love the "splashes"!

-x-Nat-x- said...

I LOVE THIS!!!! I absolutely love this colour combination, whenever anyone uses it the card just leaps out at me!! The literal splash is GENIUS!! Sorry about all the capitals just really love your card! So glad I came over from MIM!
Nat -x-

Wendy Fraser said...

Wow, brilliant card, it caught my eye on MIM. xx

Karin Seiness Lilleseth said...

This is just adorable!! Love all the "horrible" deets :-) Thanx for joining us this week at The Crazy Challenge. Hope to see you back again next week. Good luck!
Hugs Karin

Tonniece said...

Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow. I am in love with this one Deb. Red, white and black never looked so d*@#ed good together.
Oh, and thanks for the chuckle. We all should be that lucky to have such a friend/ family to make life interesting.
Have a good my friend
Hugs
Tonniece

Elizabeth Hart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth Hart said...

Wow - I love this card and that splash of red is just so dramatic and effective on this stunning card. Thanks for joining us at the Gingerloft Challenge!

Riette said...

Very unique! Saw you at MIM

Kelli Jo said...

HA! Her sister maybe insane but LMAO that was a GREAT comment... tee hee...

PS That card is really quite cool... You have a VERY Brave soul!!!! Splashing paint around, nope, not gonna do it, I'd miss the card, table etc and hit the beige carpet... beige WHO puts BEIGE carpet in a house???? UGH!

* Shaz * said...

Lovely card!

thank you for joining in the fun at ACB for our *Busy Bugs* challenge

Hope you will join again soon

Hugs Shaz x

tt.scraps said...

Nice card! I love the crime scene technique. LOL! I may have to try it soon!
Thanks for joining us at SSDS! :)
Tammy, SSDS DT

Leanne said...

Thanks for playing our inspiration photo challenge at 4 Crafty Chicks! Nicely done!

Deb said...

Beautiful card!
Many thanks for joining in the
♥Cute Card Thursday Challenge♥
this week! Debxx

rudlis said...

Beautiful card! Fabulous project. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Alphabet Challenge this week.

I Don't Do Straight said...

FAB card..... love the red splatter :)
Thanks for joining us at Corrosive Challenges :)

Marjie Kemper said...

Beautiful, Deb! I've never seen the butterflies done on white paper before and your splots/splats of red are such a gorgeous contrast. The filmstrip looks awesome that way, too.

Basement Stamper said...

I love your literal splash of color, it's perfect. The butterflies on this card are beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Blogger's Challenge this week!

Catie Cuddles said...

Wow... A superb creation! Love it!

Anita Houston said...

Prize winner!!! This rocks! Love love love the random red paint splatters...you are absolutely creative!!! Wow...this is a card!

Shirley-anne said...

Love the haphazard splash of red ! Beautiful piece of art .
Have added this blog hop to my side bar and am going to follow your blog cause I am inspired .May be I can step out side my comfort zone and move away from CAS cards .

Spyder said...

ohooo yes, freaky, frightening and fabulous! Love that splash of red! (given me some ideas!)
(Lyn)

Susie said...

Fantastic card and I love the (very literal) "splashes of red"! Thanks for joining our "Just for Men" challenge at Dream Valley. Susie x

Lisa Somerville said...

Fab creation! Love the splash of red and added filmstrip! Thanks for playing along with the Bloggers Challenge!

Hanneke said...

What a great card you posted on MIM! Love the style and splashes of red, reminds me of the movie Silence of the lambs, lol! I have a birthday candy on my blog btw! Hugs, Hanneke

Woo said...

A really fab card! Thank you for sharing with us at Here Come The Boys! Woo x

melsanford said...

Fab male card! I love the red! Thank you for joining us at Dream Valley :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

Michelle said...

Hi

What a fabulous card!! I love the dramatic splash of red paint.

Thank you for sharing with us at Make It Monday this week.

Michelle :o)

Ali Manning said...

I love this card - the splashes of red paint are fabulous!

Manu Mamma said...

Hi Deb... what a great creations!
This card is gorgeous... I love the red splashes!
Thanks for the nice comment you left into my blog.
Hugs and creativity
Manu

Paula Whittaker said...

How spooky...I did a similar card with splats/spray with that same butterfly stamp.
Fab look.