Friday, April 4, 2008

15 Minute Project ... Embossing a Frame in the Cuttlebug

Pin It


Today's "15 Minute Project" was created super-fast using a mask, a makeup sponge, and some ink. Oh, yes, and a couple of stamps, too!

I created this embossed frame on my card front in the Cuttlebug using a die from the Nestabilities Large Classic Rectangle set. This is an easy technique that adds so much to your card project! Click on the photo for a closer look.

Here's the stacking recipe:

  1. Spacer Plate A;
  2. Cutting Plate B;
  3. Your choice of Nestabilities positioned on the front of your open card, cutting blades face up. It's important that you open your card and allow the back half of your card to lay free and clear;
  4. A 4" x 4" sheet of craft magnet material ... this helps hold your die in place and also adds some needed bulk to your stack;
  5. Spellbinder's tan embossing mat;
  6. Two sheets of scrap card stock; and,
  7. Cutting plate B.

Run the whole shebang through your 'Bug and voila: an elegant yet classic look that will dress-up even the simplest of cards.

Next, using Painter's Masking tape, I masked off the card front, leaving just the center frame exposed. I used the same tape and a 1" circle punch to create a round mask. TIP: attach your masking tape to a scrap piece of card stock before punching; doing so will prevent your tape from turning into an ugly, sticky mess inside your punch.

I applied my circle punched mask to the upper-right hand corner of the center frame and sponged on Staz-On yellow ink ... when I was happy with the yellow, I over-sponged with Palette Hybrid orange ink.

Next, I tore a scrap of paper and laid it over the yellow and orange ink, and sponged on Palette Hybrid green ink. To create the illusion of shadows, I turned the sponge sideways and sponged using the edge of my make-up sponge. Once I was happy with the foreground, I stamped on the palm trees.

Finally, I removed my masks, stamped my sentiment, and was done ... it took me longer to type this post than it did to create the card!

Thanks so much for spending part of your busy day with me ... and have a wonderful weekend!

~Hugs,

Xerox 110# Card Stock; Ink, Staz-On Sunflower Yellow, Palette Hybrid in Giverney Green and Orangerie; Stamp, Palm Tree (Unknown), Sentiment, See D's Inque Boutique; Cuttlebug Die Cutting Machine; Spellbinder's Nestabilties Die; Scotch Masking Tape; Dollar Store Make-up Sponge

8 comments:

Annapurna said...

beautiful painting and thanks for the instructions.

malieta said...

Your card is so pretty and the color scheme is awesome! Thank you for sharing the mini tutorial Deb,
malieta:)

Heather said...

Very nice project- even simple enough to make multiple copies!

chelemom said...

Love the look of this embossed frame! Just adds a subtle but very effective effect!

stampinc said...

Your card is so pretty. Love the colors.

Ana Baird said...

Beautiful! Love it!

Joan and Amy said...

Very nice card. I love your skyline. Joan

Angel W said...

GORGEOUS!