Monday, January 25, 2010

And the Envelope Goes to ...

Pin It


Happy Monday, Stampers ... hope you had a great weekend!

Today's card project was created for the "Everything Old is New Again" challenge. This week's challenge was to create a card using an old background stamp as the predominant image. Oh, and no patterned paper allowed. For all the challenging deets, or to play along, clicky HERE. For the ginormous view of my card, clicky right there on the photo.

This card also qualifies for the current Stampin' Royalty Challenge, SR3, to create a one-layer project. For the deets on this challenge, clicky HERE. LeAnne turned me on to the Stampin' Royalty challenge blog and they've had some really fun challenges so far. Check 'em out ... especially you Canadian stampers as all of these gals get inky in beautiful British Columbia.

I created this card using this o-l-d background stamp from Peddler's Pack and a n-e-w sentiment stamp from Stampin' Up's 'Well Scripted' stamp set. This stamp is one of a set of six and is available in SU's new 'Occasions Mini Catalog.'

Using a Post-It note and a rectangular die, I created a mask and applied it to my card base using Safe-Release painter's tape. I stamped my fern backgrounder over the masked card base using dye ink, removed the mask, and stamped my font-a-licious sentiment. Easy-peasy and ready to serve in just 15 Minutes!

For all of the a-mazin' product info, check out the supply list, below.

Soooooooo, this Saturday I was hangin' out at Sheila's, unwillingly participating in another Sheila reorganization project. Don't even get me started ...

Anyway, the mail came and Sheila asked me to get it and throw it on the counter. When I returned, she asked if there was anything 'good' in her mail.

"I didn't look." I answered.

"Why not?" she asked, "I look at yours."

Ohhhh. I did not know that.

So off she goes to see what's 'good.'

"Hey, lookie this! A letter addressed to Ken marked 'Personal.' And there's no return address. Let's open it!"

"Oh, no, not me ... you're on your own here. I'm just an innocent bystander." I said.

"Doesn't this look like a woman's handwriting to you?" she asked, studying the envelope.

"Ummm, well ... I don't know. Maybe. But that's not the point."

"The hell it isn't!" she said and tore the envelope open.

As I watched her speed-read through the letter, her faced turned bright red. And her eyes kinda popped out ... and then that vein in her neck started jumping around.

"That devious, conniving, sneaky, old witch! How dare she!! How DARE she!" Sheila exclaimed, tossing the letter to me.

"I'm still not reading this, Sheila. It's none of my business ... it's even slightly illegal."

"Stuff it, Counselor. Read the last sentence!" she demanded.

Yikes! In mortal fear, I did. And read:

"Dear Sheila: When you've finished reading this letter, please remember to give it to my Ken. And please give my darling grandson a great big hug and a kiss for me. Love, Mom."

Uhhhh, ohhhh, busted ...

Thanks so much for stopping by today ... hope your day is fantastical!

  • Card Stock: "Very Vanilla" by Stampin' Up
  • Designer Paper: Verboten!
  • Stamps: Fern Background Stamp by Peddler's Pack; Sentiment from "Well Scripted" Stamp Set by Stampin' Up
  • Ink: "Always Artichoke" Dye Ink by Stampin' Up
  • Accessories: Twill Tape by Stampin' Up
  • Tools: Die-Cut Machine; Rectangular Die; Safe-Release Painter's Tape; Post-It Note
  • Finished Size: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"

23 comments:

chercroppin said...

Hey Deb! Love this card! I really like the old-new-again idea...and I love those new sentiment stamps!

Your story was great too, thanks for the laugh!

The Rubber Maid said...

Wow what a fantastic stamp that covers the whole card like that and makes for a beautiful image. Very classy looking and SU's phrase is done in elegant fashion too. Love it! Pat

Crystal said...

This is fantastic!!! OOOO I love this stamps...what a pretty card!

Angela McKay, Stampin' Up Demonstrator, #1 Rising Star Canada 2008/2009 said...

Oh Deb! I'm in love with this! What a gorgeous card! Thanks so much for playing with us at Stampin' Royalty! I can't wait to see more of your work:)

Allison said...

Look at that ol' BG stamp! Terrific green and off-white here Deb! Thanks for playing!

Sandra Farrell said...

Hi Deb. This card is wonderful. I had a look through your blog and your posts are hilarious. Thanks for joining us at SR.

Sarah Newman said...

What a simply gorgeous card! Your post gave me a good laugh too! Thanks for playing along with us at Stampin' Royalty!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

I love your fern and all the masking!! Gorgeous design!!
hugs,
Chris

LeAnne said...

Oh, my heart is going pitter patter for this card....I LOVE LOVE LOVE this! What a great image and how cool to mask the sentiment area. Just lovely! Great story, too. You guys are so bad.....

Curt in Carmel said...

This background stamp is really gorgeous! WOW, that is right up my alley. I love that kind of stamp! This is such a beautiful card! Great job! That letter story was hilarious. It must be a trip being friends with her! How fun. Best, Curt

Sue from Oregon said...

You nailed this challenge!!...and gave me a good laugh too!

Erica said...

You are so making up for any lost time you had with this beautiful card and that gorgeous project you made. I just loved Sheila today. Shows where Reid gets his sense of humor from. I gotta go and check out that challenge...sounds like a winner.

Maria Matter said...

now who would think a simple sheet of cardstock and a stamp or two could look this amazing....my friend Deb that's who!

you soooo ROCK girly!!!
Gorgeous!!!!
Blessings, Maria

Theresa Momber said...

WOWZA! I'm loving this card! Great job with the challenge. You totally rocked it.

Joan said...

Wow, Deb, your card is so stunning. I love the leaf and how you masked the sentiment area. It's fabulous.

Risa said...

Your card is beautiful Deb! What an awesome image!
hugs
Risa:)

Elena said...

Gorgeous! Love this leaf background stamp! And what a fabulous idea with the sentiment! Masking technique is a real magic!

Susie said...

This card is GORGEOUS!!! Oh my goodness. What a great background stamp. Thank you so much for joining us!

Charlene said...

Great card and that story...speechless! You've got to do stand -up.

Helen F. said...

Oh how pretty this card turned out! Really love that fern stamp--I have an "old" Martha Stewart single fern stamp that could work as a background---thanks for the creative idea, Deb. {{{HUGS}}}}

Chris said...

OMG too funny!! i so read everything that comes into this house!! lol

love the fern card....i'm into the organic!! >"<

JaneH said...

Wow...I l-o-v-e that card! It's so different but gorgeous!

Sandra Farrell said...

Hi Deb
Can you please email me at slfarrell@shaw.ca and I will send you your winner's badge for STampin Royalty - sorry it's late.