Monday, March 10, 2008

A "Kitties" Blog Challenge Entry (Kitties Not Included) ... and a "Bringing it Back" Challenge Entry

Pin It


Today's card project was created for Allison's "Kitties" blog challenge ... and for the "Bringing it Back" blog challenge.

Allison's challenge requires using a kitty image, kitty paper, kitty stamp, or kitty sentiment ... astoundingly, I do not own one kitty stamp, sticker, rub-on, or sentiment. Even more astounding, I didn't have so much as a scrap of kitty-like patterned paper ... big cats included! And if you ever saw my mountain of DP, even you (who also owns a mountain of paper), would find it hard to believe ... but I kid you not.

And, even though I AM owned sharing my home with two beautiful Persians, neither one would cooperate long enough for one lousy photograph! Beautifully useless, sweet, lazy, old critters ... that I love sooooo much. Anyway, I improvised using some vintage ephemera and some chipboard.

The girls at Bringing it Back challenged players to create using fibers ... eyelash, confetti, bulky, whatever. Do you remember when no project was complete without a ton of fibers hangin' from it?!?

I removed a title page from the 1931 edition of "Good Companions Comrades," which sounds suspiciously Communist, but apparently wasn't ... or if it was, where the heck was Joe McCarthy when we actually needed him, huh? I digress.

After I adhered my vintage background paper, I painted some chipboard letters, added a bit of pink tiger tail to the letter "A," stamped some flourishes, and tied on some fibers. Then, for good measure, I added more of the same fibers to the scallop-edged binder clip.

I stamped my images using distress ink; I did so to allow the printed text to show though the ink, and sparingly inked the edges with a touch of fluid chalk ink. This page is almost 80 years old, so it already had a wonderful patina ... I just evened it out a bit.

I love using vintage ephemera ... there's always so much more going on than meets the eye. For example, this book was the property of "Rex Reed" ... on February 21, 1944, when he was in Grade 2, and age 8. However, don't tell the principal at Horatio G. Bent School in Bloomington, Illinois, that Rex thinks this book, obtained by the School in 1937, is HIS.

And is this the famous movie critic Rex Reed's second grade primer?!? I did a Google search and am saddened (and no richer), to report that although the time frame is correct, the Rex Reed is not. The actor and movie critic Rex Reed was born in Ft. Worth, Texas, and was raised in Louisiana ... never attending school in Illinois.

I also did some research on the author of "Millions of Cats," Wanda Gag, and I found that the original book was published in 1928, and shortly thereafter Ms. Gag received the prestigious "Newbery Honor Award" for this story ... which I have now desecrated. She was also a noted illustrator and artist.

Learning these ^ kinds of things is just a small part of what I love about using vintage ephemera!

Now, I know I told you yesterday that I would have some really kewl projects to show you using the Cuttlebug, brass stencils, and Fiskars texture plates, but I lied overestimated my ability to produce 7 cards overnight. The backgrounds, which is really the whole show anyway, are all done, I just need to put them together nicely and photograph them.

Thanks so much for sharing part of your busy Monday; and thanks for plowing through this novella!

~Hugs, Deb

Ingredients: Card Stock, (Cut Card Stock); Vintage Ephemera, (Personal Collection); Stamps, (Inque Boutique); Ink, Distress (Ranger); Ink, Fluid Chalk (Clearsnap); Chipboard, (Unknown, for storage purposes I always remove the packaging); Fluid Acrylic Paint, (Golden); Tiger Tail, (Westrim); Fibers, (Bits 'n Pieces); Binder Clip, (Unknown, found in Mt. Binder Clip)

8 comments:

Allison said...

Holy crow...that is quite the creative process you went through! I love this...it is so innovative! I think it is better that you didn't have any kitty stuff to begin with!

P.S. Thanks for letting me know you got your goodies...I hate Canada Post!

SmilynStef said...

Too cute ... love how you combined the challenges ... very fun card.

Linsey said...

Oh wow, Deb! You REALLY had to put your creative thinking cap on with this one! It is hard to imagine searching thru what-I-know is as huge a stack of dp as mine and not finding a lick of anything with a kitty! This is just super fabulous! I agree with Allison--I think it was a blessing in disguise that you ended up without any conventional stuff because what you came up with a unique and magnificent little masterpiece of its very own! tfs!

Flossie's Follies said...

this card is fantastic, love it, you really rocked this challenge, did I say fantastic!

Corie said...

This is just so FANTASTIC!!

Debbie Olson said...

I love the book page background on the Cat piece--creative and beautifully functional. Great job on the blog banner too!

Anonymous said...

I love this card! My son (Allison's nephew) is an avid cat lover, and we just finished Millions of Cats (I think that we have read every cat book that there is). I had to read it as his summary of the story was that all the "beautiful" cats ate each other and left the ugly one behind!-I was suspicious. Now I need to find this book for our collection.

Bonnie said...

This is too cute Deb! What cool cat wouldn't love this card!! All that dangly stuff hanging from it! FAB!!