Saturday, March 29, 2008

Two 15 Minute Projects + One Blog Challenge ='s Six Cards

Pin It



Today's card projects were created for Sharon's "Paper Piecing" blog challenge.

Paper piecing is one of my favorite techniques ... and so much easier than it looks. Because this rubber stamped image is a series of blocks, it was particularly easy to cut out ... a quality that always appeals to me; especially when I knew I'd be cutting out 72 blocks!

I decided to use this vintage-inspired collage stamp from Stampers Anonymous, stamping it on my card bases and stamping six times on different scraps of patterned paper. I cut out all the individual blocks and then pieced them back together using a mix of blocks from each of the six different stamped images.

In the card below, I decided I would "pop-up" the blocks in each of the corners. So, on the corner piecings, I applied two layers of blocks, one of top of each other, adhering the top four blocks on dimensionals. I intentionally left a gap between the layers in two of the blocks so that you would be able to see what I mean:

If you click on this ^ card, and look at the "Ethyl" block and the "Einstein" blocks ... you'll see where the bottom layer is showing. Using two layers on popped-up pieced images eliminates the 'dead' space beneath your popped layer. KWIM?

The downside to creating some two-layer blocks is that I really won't get six cards out of this project, but I will get a nice seamless look on the four or five I do make. Of course, this is simply a matter of personal preference; there's no rules here!

In the card below, I popped up the woman block in the center of the top row, and the "Find Joy" and "Dream Time" blocks in the third row:


For the time being, these cards will go into my stash and I'll stamp an appropriate sentiment on them as needed.

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend ... thanks so much for sharing part of it with me!

Hugs,

9 comments:

Heather said...

Wow- I love how this turned out! I recognized that stamp too!

Allison said...

This is so neat...I love the different stamp and colors!

Julie Koerber said...

What a vivid, fun card! Very unique! You never do the same style do you? I love that about your creations!!

SmilynStef said...

I have this stamp ... but I have never made it look this fabulous ... I have got to try this out ... it looks so great!

malieta said...

OMG....you rocked this challenge Deb! How on earth did you manage to cut out 72 squares and piece them together? Your card is awesome.
malieta:)

kalissa said...

Whoa - If I didn't know what a stand-up honest kinda girl you are, I'd swear 9 different people create this blog! I don't mean you have Multiple Personality Disorder, I just mean that your versatility is incredible. You pull off so many different styles, each time with your own unique way. So far I'm tracking, Elegant, Funky & Fun, Sweetly Simple, Truly Unique, Artistic - - - it just goes on and on. I'm really impressed - and you KNOW that ain't easy! LOL

Chris said...

Cor you really rock these challenges girl... it takes me 15 mins to even decide what to do so I'd be no competition ROFL.
Just love the card below too...it's just fabulous!!

Dee aka StampincuzILuv2 said...

these are very cool!

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

These cards are amazing!!! I absolutely love them and your style!!! LOVE the black in these -- so vivid and crisp -- fabulous work!!! So glad you played and shared these with us!!! Thank you so much!!!