Wednesday, March 26, 2008

15 Minute Project ... Using an Embossed Background Created with Watermark Ink and the Cuttlebug

Pin It


Today's "15 Minute Project" was created using an inspirational stamp from Healing Expressions Art Stamps. This unique Biblical sentiment stamp is perfect for sending support and friendship to someone special. I think it would make a really neat anniversary card too, but that's just me ...

I stamped the text using watermark ink and embossed with copper embossing powder. I mounted my stamped and embossed image on two oval scallop mats using dimensionals.

The kewl background was created using Versamark inside a Cuttlebug embossing folder; I embossed using copper powder. For this project, I used the "Textile" folder but any of them would work ... including the 2 x 2 embossing folders.

Using watermark ink, I coated the inside of the top flap (it's the flat side where the word "Cuttlebug" is printed in black ... it's the same side you'd use for normal folder embossing in the 'Bug), with a liberal coating of Versamark.

Insert your card stock, or other background paper, face up in the folder and run through your machine. Remove and coat the card stock with a generous coating of embossing powder. Then, heat emboss as you normally would.

You should clean your embossing folder as soon as possible to avoid staining ... watermark ink won't stain but other inks may. I used baby wipes to clean mine but soapy water works too.

My bloggin' friend, Julie, created a lovely distressed background with the same technique ... however, she used bronze Pearl-Ex for her color medium. Click HERE to take a look at Julie's amazing piece of art! Talk about WoW, huh?!?

Imagine all the creative possibilities using this kewl technique ... you'll have a hard time deciding where to begin!

I believe this technique began it's life on SCS, and I'd be delighted to credit the inventor. If anyone knows exactly who dreamed up this fun technique, please let me know.

Happy creating!

Hugs,


EDITED TO ADD: Jennifer (jennifer-g on SCS) was kind enough to write and tell me that Kurtis, the Stampin' Kub, was the creator of this kewl technique. Click HERE for the complete tutorial. Thanks, Jennifer; you rock!

And Kurtis, if you've somehow got lost in Blogdom and are reading this, thank you for creating and sharing such a fun and easy technique to use with the 'Bug!!

16 comments:

Flossie's Follies said...

Beautuiful, so pretty and elegant.

Julie Koerber said...

LOVE your take on this Deb! Wasn't it fun? I seriously can see making a bunch of these cards for gift sets in coordinating colors with a touch of embellies on them! Now I have to try it with embossing powder!! :-)

Allison said...

This is terrific...gosh, why have I not tried this yet? Oh yeah...work, kids, housework, etc.!

Chris said...

Wowee this is just soooo elegent Debs, thanks so much for showing us and telling us how it was done. I don't have a cuttlebug but I'm beginning to wish I had now...lol

savy said...

This is one of the most beautiful cards I've ever seen. What a work of art!

Silli said...

very pretty. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jennifer (SCS: jennifer-g) said...

Great card! Gotta love that fast yet gorgeous look!

This inking the negative did start on SCS, it was posted last fall by Kurtis - the Stampin' Kub (KrabearKub). I had the thread saved from way back b/c it was just so cool. I don't know if it's also on his blog or not, but here's a photo tutorial from SCS:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298891&highlight=inking+the+negative

Jeannie Phillips said...

This looks great... and you are really fast...nothing I do can I do in just 15 minutes...
Jeannie

Bobbi G said...

Beautiful color! Love the sentiment too! Very cool card!

Linsey said...

Hey, you rock too, Deb! This is absolutely gorgeous, my friend! I love that bg, I must try that asap! OH, what a wonderful sentiment and it makes a completely awesome card! tfs!

SmilynStef said...

Fabulous Technique ... I love being able to do more with what I already own ... thanks for the inspiration.

Penny said...

Hi Deb, this is so cool! I saw Julie's and loved it too .

Thanks so much for your comments on my blog - Perfect Ink Refresher, I have no idea what the ingredients are but it is water-based but feels more 'oily' on your hands. It's primarily for refreshing your dried -up ink pads and it works for that too. It doesn't break the fibres of the paper the way water does. I hope that helps a bit!

malieta said...

Your card is beautiful and I love the embossing!
malieta:)

SmilynStef said...

Thanks for the inspiration:

http://ingeniousinkling.typepad.com/ingenious_inkling/2008/04/boodalee-beddin.html

Swaantje said...

so beautuiful !!

Jane in Kent said...

Love the card but (being somewhat 'thick') still can't see how you got the white design out of copper embossing powder. Sigh...