Friday, May 16, 2008

Bloom with Abandon ... Walnut Ink Resist Technique

Pin It


Happy Friday, boys and girls, and welcome to another edition of MACM! No, no, nothing like Kristina's Make a Card Monday. My version of MACM is "Making a Card ... Mess!"

With my art roots being in mixed media collage and assemblage, mess-making comes naturally to me! But with my "spray in a box" technique, this project really isn't all that messy ... and, if you're like me, you already have 20 gallons of walnut ink stashed somewhere in your studio. Today we're gonna put it to good use!

It's really very simple to achieve this look: you'll need white matte card stock, a bold stamp, watermark ink, clear embossing powder, a heat gun, walnut ink, an old shoe box, and a soft cloth or paper towels.

I stamped my "Long Stemmed Lily" stamp three times on Xerox 110# matte card stock using Versamark watermark ink. I covered my stamped images with clear embossing powder and embossed with my heat gun. I followed the same steps with my sentiment stamp.

Now for the messy fun part! Fill a spray bottle with walnut ink (follow package instructions, or ask me for mixing directions, if you're starting with walnut ink crystals). Place your stamped and embossed images in the empty shoe box and spray ... liberally ... with the walnut ink. Then spray again ... liberally. I like to cover the entire sheet of card stock with ink, encouraging lots of little puddles ... that's what makes the piece interesting! Using your hands, rotate the inked card stock, allowing the ink to puddle and pool. Once you're satisfied with the ink's coverage, you're done! Simply allow the card stock to dry naturally ... overnight is best.

When completely dry, simply wipe the embossed areas with a cloth or a paper towel. You might slightly dampen the cloth or paper towel for faster removal. Then use your uber-kewl, walnut-ink, clear-embossed-resist piece in your next project!

This technique is a great way to enhance a vintage-inspired project, but any stamp or style will work here ... with the possible exception of finely detailed stamps. Try it! I'd love to see what you create, so if you do use this technique please post a link in the comments.

Thanks so much for sharing part of your busy day with me; have a great weekend!

~Hugs,


Card Stock: Cut Card Stock, Xerox 110#; Designer Paper: My Mind's Eye "Bohemia" Collection; Stamps: "Long Stemmed Lily" by Hero Arts, "Bloom with Abandon" Cornish Heritage Farms; Ink: Versamark Watermark; Walnut Ink: 7gypsies; Waxed Linen: 7gypsies; Die-Cut Machine: Provo Craft; Dies: Nestabilities by Spellbinder's; Adhesive: ATG 714; Dimensionals: All Night Media

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Deb, that is just awesome! I haven't gotten out my walnut inks in quite some time, but this gorgeous card of yours is so inspiring!!!

And thanks for linking to my store. I'm totally impressed with how you used that stamp! :-)

Allison said...

Very cool...def. a "Paula thing"...

Mistylynn said...

I'm with ya sista! Your card looks beautiful. I love the look of WN ink. Make a card mess...too funny.
Misty

Linsey said...

Hey Deb! I'm doing good, but you are obviously doing great--this card rocks! What a beauty--these techniques together make for one gorgeous creation! NO surprise there! Thanks for checking in on me, just being a bag blogger, sorry for the disappearing act--I'm bacK, hehe! hugs for a happy weekend!

Annapurna said...

Very shabby chic. Don't have any walnut ink, but when I do, I will definitely come back to look.

You have an award on my blog.
xx

Jennifer (SCS: jennifer-g) said...

Love it love it love it love it!! Had a few seconds to catch up with all my favorite girls so I wanted to say hi!! I see I've missed lots of great projects the last week or two, I will have to do better so I can make sure to get you in my Friday Favorites in a timely manner because...ummm....FAVORITE!

Rochelle W said...

How beautiful. What a great card.

Julia Aston said...

Love this technique Deb! and I have walnut ink!! now to find that shoe box in the attic stash!!!

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Saving this for future reference -- LOVE the look!!!

Angelnorth said...

See what you made me do? I couldn't even find walnut ink in the UK so I *had* to order an ounce from your side of the Pond. Looks like such a fun technique I couldn't resist! (and I seem to be having a brown phase at the moment - that might have influenced me too!)