Thursday, July 16, 2009

Gone Camping ... Real Birch Bark Included

Pin It


Happy Thursday, race fans!

Today's card project was created using the "Happy Camper" set designed by Theresa Momber for Gina K. Designs. I have fallen in love with this set ... I can't believe how many projects I've created using it ... and I still love it! If you're ready to fall in love, clicky HERE.

In case you were wondering about my post title, I stamped my "Gone Camping" sentiment on real birch bark! Really! I used StazOn solvent ink but I don't think it was necessary; I suspect it would work just as well using your favorite dye ink. Give it a try!

Oh. And if you have any birch trees in your yard, would you mind mailing me some? I've been hoarding this bit for years and now I need to replenish my birch-bark-supply ... sadly, birch trees don't grow down here. Come to think of it, the age of this bark may have something to do with it taking ink so well ...

I stamped my tent image on Stamper's Select card stock then stamped a mask on a Post-It note, catching as much of the sticky part as possible. Then I over stamped my vintage PSX Black Walnut tree image ... easy-peasy!

TIP: To mask without leaving a "halo" around your original stamped image, trim your mask inside the outline of your stamped image. Works every time!

I drew a horizon, sponged on lots of Distress inks, and added these funky l'il leaves I've had for-evuh. I don't even know where I got them, that's how long I've had 'em.

For the rest of the stupefying product info, check out the supply list, below.

So, Sheila hosted her annual 4th of July Extravaganza on, strangely enough, the 4th of July. She always tries to have something special just for the kiddies, and this year she hired a clown. I would have told you this story sooner but ... well, I forgot.

"So Reid, who's coming to your house tomorrow with with wild hair, a big nose, and huge feet?" I asked the Wild Child.

"Oh," Reid replied, "It's Uncle Larry, right?"

Ummm, Uncle Larry is my DH ...

~Hugs,

  • Card Stock: Textured and Black Card Stock by Bazzill Basics; Stamper's Select White Card Stock by Papertrey Ink
  • Other Paperish Thing: Real Birch Bark from a Real Birch Tree
  • Stamps: Sentiment and Tent from Gina K. Designs; Black Walnut Tree by PSX
  • Ink: Sentiment Stamped in StazOn Solvent Ink by Tsukineko; Tree and Tent Images Stamped in "Tuxedo Black" Memento Dye Ink by Tsukineko; "Brushed Corduroy," "Faded Jeans," "Mustard Yellow," and "Dried Marigold" Distress Inks by Ranger Industries
  • Color Medium: Copic Markers
  • Accessories: Plastic Leaves, Unknown
  • Tools: Die-Cut Machine by Provo Craft; Nestabilities Dies by Spellbinders Paper Arts; Corner Rounder Punch by CarlaCraft; Inkssentials Ink Tool by Ranger Industries; Zig Markers; Scotch ATG 714 Adhesive; Foam Tape; Mini Glue Dots
  • Finished Size: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"

15 comments:

Maria Matter said...

{picking jaw up from floor} yes, I have to say this is jaw dropping gorgeous! I love, love, love that tree and your design with masking and sponging has surely set the perfect scene!
I'm googling that tree....my DH is a woodsmith, I'll check on bark with him! I didn't know your DH was a clown! hehe
Blessings, Maria

Tina said...

WOW! You are making me want that set...STOP IT! This is one fabulous card!

Cindy Haffner said...

Way too cool.

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

Love your card!! Beautiful design and the image is awesome!! Reminds me of my boys and their camping trips they take!! So fun!!

Danni said...

Wowzers! what an awesome card!! Great job!

Crystal said...

Deb girl this is AWESOME!!! What an awesome scene you have created here...I love all those leaves too girl...what a fabo card!!!!

Theresa Momber said...

Wowza! Deb, this is amazing! I love the gorgeous colors and that fab tree in the background. TFS!!!

Sharli said...

Gorgeous!!! That is such a WOWIE card! I don't have birch trees either or I'd send you some - but the next time I run into one, it had better "look out"!

I hope Larry wasn't within earshot of the comment! How funny though.

Chris said...

your DH sounds HOT, especially the big nose part!! send him to maine!! LOL super fab card, i bask in your awesome-ness!! >"<

Brenda said...

Wonderful!! That tree is gorgeous with the sponging, great colors and a fantastic card.

redwasher1 said...

Yes this is a WOWIE card!!! I just love this!!

Elena said...

Wonderful card, Deb! I love your idea with the birch bark!

Teresa Kline aka va.sunshine said...

wow, your coloring is amazing, it gives the card so much depth...fantastic work!

enjoy *~*

Beate said...

Wonderful card, Deb!!!
Hugs and smiles

Curt in Carmel said...

You truly work magic with this set! I LOVE this card and the birch bark is a perfect touch. If I knew what the heck a birch looked like, I'd mail you some if I could find one! Best, Curt