Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I Look at This Card and Wonder: Why Do I Buy Designer Papers?

Pin It



'Cuz I hardly ever use 'em ... meaning that besides hoardin' all that other stuff, I'm now hoardin' stuff I don't use! I'm seriously thinkin' about writing a book, "The Hoarding Paper Crafter: Myth, Mystery, and Motive." Whaddya thin'? And coincidentally, today is "American Tag Day" ... yup, I'm hoarding tags too ... and so are you ... and I know you know I know!

ONward H-C-M's:

Today's DP-free card was created as a sample for a card customer ... who, {*sniff*}, unceremoniously rejected this card.

I stamped my sentiment on Vintage Creme card stock using dye ink from CTMH, tied some gold metallic fiber around it, and mounted it on textured card stock. I laced five gold eyelets with more of the same fiber and adhered the panels to my card base.

I stamped my leaves with Versamark and heat embossed 'em with Fine Detail embossing powder. I cut them out, colored the leaves with Twinkling H2O's, applied a coat of gold Perfect Pearls, and 'set' the P.P.'s with a clear finish spray fixative. {*breathe*}

I mounted the leaves to the card using l'il slivers of dimensionals and finis!

So, I don't think I mentioned this before, but two or three weeks ago Sheila asked me to go with her to visit a psychiatrist about her "problem" son. Let me just say her son is w-a-y more than a "handful," KWIM?

"You are far too upset and worried about your son. I am going to give you a prescription for some tranquillizers that I want you to start taking regularly," the shrink told her.

Yesterday, I went with her again for her follow-up visit to the psychiatrist. As soon as were were in the door, the shrink asked, "So, have the tranquilizers calmed you down any?"

"Oh, yes," Sheila answered. "They do wonders for me!"

"And how is your son now?" he asked.

"Who cares?!?" she replied.

That's my girl!

~Hugs,

  • Card Stock: Bazzill Basics; Lasting Impressions; Papertrey Ink
  • Designer Paper: NONE, see what I mean!?!
  • Stamps: Sentiment, Unknown ... dang unmounted stamps; Leaves, Stampcraft
  • Ink: "Autumn Terracotta" by Close to My Heart; Versamark Watermark
  • Color Medium: Twinkling H2O's
  • Accessories: Fine Detail Embossing Powder; Perfect Pearls; Gold Metallic Fiber by DMC; Gold Eyelets
  • Tools: Die-Cut Machine; Spellbinder's Dies; Crop-A-Dile; Scissors; Krylon Clear Finish; Dimensionals, Scrap Fusion PA


21 comments:

Diane.W. said...

Well I think your card is luvly,Deb!!! ;O)x

Evelina Wikberg said...

That is a gorgous card!! And yes, who needs designer paper with a talent like yours!! Have a good day. Hugs * Eva

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am shocked that this card could be rejected by anyone. It is a beautiful card!! Stacy

Tina said...

Gorgeous Deb, love the design.

Ann said...

Love the card. Also love the "Inner Peace" advisory. May I steal it?

Deb Neerman said...

Hi Ann:

Thanks for visiting and the kind words!

I have no way to correspond directly with you regarding your request.

Please contact me with a blog URL or your email addy. Thanks!

Tonniece said...

Wow, rejected? silly, silly customer, it's gorgeous.

Happy Wednesday Deb

Savy said...

Deb, in some trade zine I was reading recently, artists were asked to "List 5 things you couldn't live without in your studio" (or something like that).
And that got me thinking, If I tell you my 5, will you tell me yours? Aiight now -

Savy's Studio:
- Golden gel medium (no shocker there)
- Bleeding tissue paper
- Caran d'ache oil pastels
- Dictionaries in as many languages as possible
- Miss Mary J

Okay you go. I KNOW I'm not the only person wants to know!

Deb Neerman said...

5 Things I Can't Live Without in My Studio:

1. Guillotine Paper Cutter and Card Stock (notice how craftily I snuck in an extra thing);
2. Cuttlebug Die-Cutting Machine;
3. Prismacolor and/or Koh-I-Noor Pencils;
4. Spellbinder's Dies; and,
5. As many rubber stamps as I can stuff in there!

And what is "Miss Mary J?" Is that what I think it is?!?

~Hugs, Deb

Carolyn King said...

this is beautiful--who need dp when you have stamps? (lol...but i still hoard too!)

The Rubber Maid said...

You're right about not needing DP, I think we all are in LaLa land when it comes to that but lately I am doing a bit more of creating my own. Your card is wonderful . Glad
your friend's worries over her son are taken care of. Tranquilizers work every time. Pat

Joanne (Stamps4sanity) said...

I've really been lovin' your fall cards! This one is awesome too. I have a friend who collects designer papers too! lol! I really DO use my papers, I like 'em, but your cards really stand up well on their own...

Deb said...

Hey Deb, gorgeous Fall Card!! I must confess I am a hoarder of everything!! I have to have it and then I can't bring myself to use it!! I have more paper and ribbon than I could probably even use in my lifetime!!

Elena said...

Hello Deb! I just love your jokes! I don't understand that customer... Too bad for him or her... This card is just gorgeous. Love the leaves. Embossing gives a very elegant look! Twinkling H2Os make leaves look like real! You can do impossible things with what other people may not even notice!

savy said...

Mary J -- oh goodness no! I didn't even THINK of that LOL. Mary J Blige on the CD player - strength, soul and harmony :-)

Julie Koerber said...

Ok... I really need to read all the comments more often. I was CRACKING up! I thought we were talking about a different Mary J too! LOL! I said - wow - that was kind of bold!! HA! I love your card Miss Deb. Can't believe it landed rejection!! I'll take it! ;-)

Shirley said...

First, your customer is crazy. The card is lovely. Next, about your hoarding, you are just jealous that the voices only talk to me about it. The hording that is.

malieta said...

You are so funny and thank you for the laugh!
Your card is awesome Deb! The embossing is a work of art and the leaves are awesome! Too bad for your customer, they missed out on an awesome card!
BTW....Mary J. is a recording artist:) Mary J. Blidge

Deborah said...

This card rock Deb! Your eyelets laced up is so hip! Great sentimen/verse, gorgeous leafs! Deb

Mel M. M. McCarthy said...

Fantastic card. Stunning Debalicious! Love the eyelets & those leaves are such glorious colours. Your list of 5 must-haves is rockin! That's too funny that you would say you are thinking of writing a book, because I was reading your comments on my blog and thinking how amazingly witty you are (as well as being craftily ultra talented) and how you should write a book! So yes write it! It'd be amazing I know it! huggggzzz, :O)

Curt in Carmel said...

Those leaves are awsome. I love the colors and I love the eylette use. . .very creative! Best, Curt