Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Time for Y.K.Y.R.'s Halloween "Rock the Cover" Challenge!

Pin It

Hey, there you are! So, today is, among other things, "White Cane Safety Day." I'd like to go on the record right now and state firmly and emphatically that keeping white canes safe is a top priority of mine. Wait. No. That's not right. It's keepin' white CANDY canes safe that's a top priority of mine ...

ONward Hoarding-Card-Makers:

Being that it's the 15th of the month, it's also time to post up another Y.ou K.now Y.ou R.ock challenge! This time around, we're asking that you create a card inspired by an album/CD cover of your favorite Halloween-ish musical group. I chose The Smashing Pumpkins' self-titled CD:



And here's my take:


I stamped my images, two from the "Crow About" Collection by Green Pepper Press, and the bare tree by Victorine Originals, twice ... once on my card stock base and once using Versamark on matching card stock.

I heat embossed my images with "Ultra Deep Snow Fall" embossing powder, cut out the images, trimming closely, then used a million slivers of dimensionals to pop them up over the original image.

TIP: Always save the ... well, 'holes' left when you finish a packie of dimensionals. Use these leftovers to create itty-bitty dimensionals for use on smallish projects.

Finally, I added some grosgrain ribbon, and punched out some leaves with a craft punch. Easy-peasy-crows-make-my-tummy-queasy!

If you'd like to participate in this month's Y.ou K.now Y.ou R.ock challenge, and I'd LOVE it if you would, simply create a card inspired by an album/CD cover from one of your favorite spooky groups!

Post a photo of your inspiration CD cover and your finished card on your blog, and leave a comment on Y.K.Y.R.'s October 15th blog post letting us know. We'll do the rest!

If you don't have a blog, well, don't let that stop you! Just let me know and I'll get your photo uploaded to our gallery. If you'd like to post your creation on SCS, please use Keyword YKYRo4. And remember to provide photos of both your card project and the inspiration CD cover.

To get you started, here's a couple of quick suggestions: The Smashing Pumpkins (duh), Cheap Trick, or The Black Crows. The only requirement is that your musical groups' name reflects some aspect of Halloween, KWIM? Consider: costumes, trick or treatin', skeletons, graveyards, black cats, ghosts, witches, spells and potions, and so on.

The best way to track down a CD cover image is by doing an image search on google.com. When you arrive on the site, click on "image search" in the upper tool bar and type in your search query. Easy!

You have until midnight, Friday, November 7th, to post your card; voting will begin a 12:01 AM on Saturday, November 8th. Jewels and I can't wait to see what kind of spooky kewlness you brew up!

Soooooo, coincidentally, and while we're celebrating "White Cane Day" together, I've got to share with you a snippet of a conversation I had with Sheila:

"Say," I asked Sheila, "what would you do if you caught your husband with another woman?"

"Another woman with MY husband?" Sheila asked. "Well, let's see; I'd break her white cane, shoot her guide dog, and call a cab to take her back to the institution she escaped from."

And this is a girl who could do just that ...

Seriously.

~Hugs,

  • Card Stock: Bazzill Basics; DCWV
  • Designer Paper: NONE, Shocking, huh?!?
  • Stamps: "Crow About" Collection by Green Pepper Press; Large Bare Tree by Victorine Originals
  • Ink: Versamark Watermark by Tsukineko
  • Accessories: Embossing Powder by Comotion; Grosgrain Ribbon
  • Tools: Heat Gun; Leaf Craft Punch; Dimensionals

16 comments:

Julie Koerber said...

Love your take!That tree is really spooky!!!

BTW, I take it you got my email!! :-) I was in a panic last night. Cal had a football game and I got home really late! It was just one of those things!!

Talk soon!!!
Jewels!

Diane.W. said...

LOL!!! Crows make my tummy queesy too!!!!You are funny!!!!
Your card looks brilliant & really does resemble the album cvr,great stuff :o)x

Shirley said...

OMG, its perfect! Only you could find an album like this and come up with such an outstnading card too! Love those leaves too!

Anonymous said...

Wow awesome cover choice and great job. TFS.

Debbie/Phx AZ

The Rubber Maid said...

Great take on the Smashing Pumpkins albumn cover. I don't know if I have anything that would be Halloweenish but I'll check, first I have to find my white cane and feel my way around my CD's . Pat

Deb said...

You are way too funny!! This is fabulous, maybe I;ll give it a try if I can find an album cover that inspires me!!

Annapurna said...

I told you not to rock the cover too much. Now look at that poor tree, it is all droopy. LOL!

Love it! The Raven to you too. LOL!

Joanne (Stamps4sanity) said...

You rocked it indeed... It's a great card. I wanna play this month. I just need to pick an album cover.

Allison said...

This is just sweet...what a fun stamp to color!

Tonniece said...

Love the tree, (I think I have a thing for trees, and so it seems does the Raven). Great take on the CD cover.

Elena said...

Love your new challenge! Just need to find a CD cover now! Your card look so cool! Love how you was inspired! Love the color contrast!

malieta said...

You definitely ROCKED this challenge Deb! Your card is very cool and spookylicious! Great Job!!!

Ann said...

Oooh, this could be fun! Gotta put my thinkin' cap on for this one! :D

Deborah said...

Samshing card Deb! You rocked the challenge! Crows, hate them! Love yours though! We have a million up here on the mountain and they are huge and weird! Deb

Mel M. M. McCarthy said...

Awesome card! That tree is incredible. you know you ROCK! You SO DO! I am going to get my stuff together to do this challenge (starting with getting my CD cases outta storage to see what their covers look like, LOL) ;o) hugs

Jennifer (SCS: jennifer-g) said...

You are a Halloween-ish Rockstar. Love it! I will have to try and play, assuming I get more than 3 minutes to myself - that I can string together to equal stampin'.

Missed you of the late - I know I have been MIA. Hugs! Be good and don't do anything Shelia would do...