Tuesday, May 26, 2009

All the Good Card Shapes Were Taken ...

Pin It


by the talented Caardvarks Design Team!

Today's card project was created for the Caardvarks "Shape Up" challenge. For all the challenge deets, clicky HERE. And while you're there, take a look at the DT's cards ... wowza, not only is the talented team huge, it's hugely talented! By reason of sheer numbers, all the good card shapes were taken ... like that taco-card ... so I decided to make a boring shirt-card {*yawn*} for my dear FIL.

The card is pretty simple ... and pretty simple to put together, too. I created my shirt using less than one sheet of DP from Cosmo Cricket's "Get Happy" collection and stamps from Close to My Heart and Hampton Art.

After I cut out my shirt-card, I added some vintage buttons from my half-vast button stash.

TIP: Using a guillotine cutter, slice super-skinny strips of your DP to create "thread" for your buttons. It creates less bulk than real thread or floss and always matches your project!

For all the exciting shape-shifting product info, check out the supply list, below.

So, this past Sunday, Sheila was working with her Sunday School kids preparing them for their First Communion. Father John assisted her, instructing the kids to cup their hands to receive the Host when he said the words, "God be with you."

After Church, Reid-the-Wild-Child called me and pleaded with me to come over to watch him practice for the big day.

I think his exact words were, "'Auntie, you HAVE to get over here RIGHT. NOW. 'cuz I'm your favorite-est godson and you love me," or maybe it was, "get over here RIGHT. NOW. before Mommy eats all the Sunday donuts!" Either way, I had to go ...

When I got there, I found Sheila in her kitchen using a tiny cookie cutter to create the "Host" out of white bread.

"You've lost it." I observed.

"Whatever," she sighed, "I'm not in charge here anymore."

"Okay, Mom," Reid demanded the second she finished making the bread thingies, "first, I'll be the priest and you be the kid!"

Reid carefully explained to Sheila that she had to kneel, bow her head, think of Baby Jesus, and then cup her hands to receive the Host.

Never one to skimp on details, Reid put on his Batman cape ... while Sheila got down on her knees.

Then, holding the bread-Host-thingie in a most priestly way, he said in a solemn voice, "God will get you."

Omigosh, my sides still hurt!

~Hugs,

  • Designer Paper: Snappy/Twist & Shout Sheet from Como Cricket's "Get Happy" Collection
  • Card Stock: "Stamper's Select" White by Papertrey Ink
  • Stamps: "Love," and "thinking of you" by Close to My Heart; "DAD" from Hampton Art's Mini-Alphabet Set
  • Ink: "Cranberry" Dye Ink by Close to My Heart
  • Marker: "Cranberry" by Close to My Heart
  • Accessories: Vintage Buttons
  • Tools: Tag Corner Punch by Stampin' Up; Glue Dots by Mini-Glue Dots; Scotch ATG 714 Adhesive
  • Finished Size: 5 1/2" x 6 1/2"

25 comments:

Tina said...

You are sooo clever. What a fun card, perfect details.

Cindy Haffner said...

Oh so fun and perfect. Hugs Cindy xxoo

~Lori (loree2000 SCS) said...

What cool design!! Awesome colors!! TFP!

Heidi Van Laar said...

Kids say the darnedest things...lol! Tooo funny!

Fabulous card! I was admiring your stitched button then I read how you threaded them...great tip! Thanks!

LeAnne said...

I love this card---I wonder where I put my shirt card directions??!! And you'd better be good, or God WILL get you! :D
LeAnne

Sharli said...

Deb,

Your card is cute! I didn't know that trick about cutting small strips of the paper to "thread" my buttons - what a great tip!

Your story today is hilarous! Good thing I'm on my lunch hour and can go fix up my makeup before my next meeting - laughed until the tears rolled!

Crystal said...

What a fun and creative card!! AWESOME!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

YOu crack me up Deb! This is a gorgeous card and not at all boring!! Great colors! Your father in law will love it!!

Elena said...

I don't think this card is boring at all! It is very cute! I love the Love label you put! Thank you for sharing the tip, Deb!

Brenda said...

LOL great story and just when I needed a laugh, thank you. Wonderful card, and thank you for the tip about using card stock for thread.

Risa said...

Your card is too cute Deb! I love all the detailing..way too cool! I also visited the CPS link and I was blown away by the creativity of the DT! TFS!!
hugs
Risa:)

Ann said...

So clever and cute! Great idea for a masculine card...I always struggle with those!

SmilynStef said...

Love that very fun shirt ... thanks for the tip on using thin strips of paper for the buttons ... great shape card.

redwasher1 said...

Deb what a cute card! I love it! I might have try this. Thanks for the story and the tip!!

Theresa said...

ROFL! That kid's a riot! Love your shirt card and great tip with the buttons. I am so seriously button challenged, I hardly ever use them. Need to get over my fear.

Allison said...

Awesome creation...love your tip! And those colors are terrific...perfect for a Florida shirt! So smart with the sentiment too!

BTW, my kids are useless swimmers. They like to sit on the edge or wear life jackets all the time. No Olympics for me...sigh! I guess I better get 'em curling!

Chris said...

OMG, that was good!! LMAO!! oh yeah, love the card too!! have to go check out the rest of the cards...

lauren said...

well clearly, NO, all the good card shapes were *NOT* taken...till you got here!!! (but yeah--lori's taco card? talk about a "wish i'd thought of that" moment, right?!)love this fabulously clever, perfectly finished, totally adorable shirt card!!! ♥

Carrie Gaskin said...

Totally cute! You picked the perfect shape.

Randee E said...

So bright and cheerful! great card!

Helen F. said...

LOVE the Dad's Day card ~ and the great Florida colors on his 'shirt' are just perfect.

MMG said...

I find "Dad-friendly" cards to be difficult to create and make original-- you hit this one out of the park! I love the colors and the design.

Shirley said...

That card is perfect for Father's day and a party too! I love Reid's sense of humor.

Lucy, England said...

What a fantastic card - LOVE the shape.

Tiffany Heilman said...

What a fun play on that shirt! Love it!