Monday, March 22, 2010

Fun With Vicki's Shadow-Box Dies ...

Pin It


Happy Monday, Stampers ... hope your weekend was full of fabulousness!

A few weeks ago, my uber-talented bloggin' friend, Vicki Chrisman, of "This Art That Makes Me Happy," announced that she had created a free-standing, shadow-box style die for Accucut. Well, WoWzA, this turned out to be one terrific die! Later, when Vicki sent out the call for stampers interested in playing with her new die-cuts, I immediately volunteered.

I'm here to say that playing with these ingenious die-cuts was more fun that one person should be allowed to have with paper! I only have about 200 more ideas for fun projects to create with these fabulous die-cuts.

Here's a lookie at my vintage-inspired shadowbox assemblage:

For the ginormous view of my project, just clicky on the photo. If you're so inclined, you can check out the rest of the exciting product info below ... but really, nothing's more exciting than these ^ die-cuts.

To create my shadowbox, I used some ancient Paris/travel-themed die-cuts from Provo Craft, a couple of vintage-inspired images from Crafty Secrets, a sentiment stamp from PTI, a vintage key, and a metal index frame. To create a distressed, vintage look, I sponged lots of fluid chalk ink on all of the die-cuts. Easy-peasy and too much fun!

Vicki is sponsoring a blog hop today featuring projects created by crafty bloggers using her die-cuts. Just clicky HERE to go to Vicki's blog. You will be simply amazed to see the variety of cool projects that can be created with these die-cuts!

Soooooooo, this weekend I got stuck err, ... asked to babysit for Reid-the-Wild-Child. How could I say no to my dearest friend? Right. Well, I tried, but she wouldn't let me off the hook.

For lack of anything better to do fun, Reid and I challenged each other to a "Whaddya Call A Guy With No Arms and No Legs" Joke-Off. Based on all (one) of your emails, I know you guys really miss the Wild-Child's stupid cute jokes. And since business was slow, Reid's decided he won't be charging me $$$ anymore to use his jokes ... drat the luck.

Here's a few of our favorites:

Reid: Whaddya call a guy with no arms and no legs on your front porch?
Me: What?
Reid: Matt!

Me: Whaddya call a guy with no arms and no legs on your wall?
Reid: What?
Me: Art!

Reid: Whaddya call a guy with no arms and no legs in your pool?
Me: What?
Reid: Bob!

Me: Whaddya call a guy with no arms and no legs standing in a hole?
Reid: What?
Me: Phil!

Reid: Whaddya call a guy with no arms and no legs with a car on his head?
Me: What?
Reid: Jack!

And the winning "Whaddya Call A Guy ..." joke ... my very own handiwork, I'm not proud to say:

Me: Whaddya call two guys with no arms and no legs on your window?
Reid: What?
Me: Curt and Rod!

I know, they're really dumb ... but you laffed, right?

~Hugs,


Today's Challenges:

Project Recipe:
  • Card Stock: Unknown
  • Designer Paper: Unknown
  • Free-Standing Shadowbox Die: Accucut by Vicki Chrisman for Crafty Secrets
  • Other Paper: Heartwarming Vintage by Crafty Secrets; Chipboard Die Cuts
  • Stamp: Sentiment by PTI
  • Ink: "Basic Black" Dye Ink by Stampin' Up; Chestnut Roan Fluid Chalk Ink
  • Accessories: Vintage Key; Jump Ring; Vintage-Inspired Metal Index Frame
  • Tools: Corner Chomper; Stampin' Dimensionals and SNAIL Adhesive by Stampin' Up
  • Finished Size: Approximately 11 1/2" x 6"

56 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh my word Deb what an AWESOME project you made here girl!!!! WOOOOHOOOO this looks fabulous!!!!!

Beverley said...

Deb...what a fantastic project...I love the vintage look and all your embellies are great too...what a perfect job...I'll have to look into that die...thank you for the sweet comments on my blog...thanks for sharing...have a stampin' good day.

Stampin' HUGZ
Beverley

Tina said...

Amazing project, as always! No detail goes unnoticed!

Elena said...

Wow! What a fabulous project, Deb! I am amazed of your talent! LOVE IT!

Basement gal said...

How cool is this I love the vintage look.

stitchy said...

Deb this is absolutely beautiful, I've never seen anything quite like it before...you sound like you will be doing tons more with those die-cuts, how exciting..thank you so much for sharing your talent with us at OSAAT...good luck with all those draws!!!

stitchy xx

♥ Lydia ♥ said...

Fabulous card...fabulous detail!
Thanks for joining us at Fab'n'Funky this week :)

sam said...

Hehehehe I'm still chuckling here. This is one fabulous project and I look forward to seeing more of these. Thanks for joining us once again here at OSAAT.
Take care
Sam x

Jennifer said...

Yes, I have to admit I laughed!
You have some gorgeous stamps and I love what you've created with them.
Thanks for joining the ABC Challenge this week.
Hugs
Jen x

Sarah said...

I love the sophisticated charm of your shadow box project, Deb. Wasn't it great of Vicki to give us new toys to play with? Gotta love an enabler.

Marlene (cards4u) said...

Deb this turned out great!! Absolutely love it - great combo of elements! And I love your window version of the joke : )

Janine said...

WOW!!!!!

Spyder said...

Fabulous shadow box, brilliantly put together, just love it! Thank you for joining OSAAT's 'vintage' challenge!!...and what d'you call a guy holding a spade?
Dug
and what d'you call a guy with no arms and no legs in a swimming pool?
bob


(Lyn)

Melissa said...

I admit, I did giggle!!!

Awesome vacation project!! Thanks for joining us at Paper Popsicles this week!

Heather x said...

Oh yes me and hubby laughed! Especially at curt and rod, never heard that one before :0)
Love the shadow box that you have created, not seen one before....beautiful :0)
Thank you for joining us at OSAAT this week and good luck :0)
*hugs* Heather x

Bettyann said...

Love your fab shadow box...love the details..Fun to play with these new tools..thanks for visiting my blog...take care

Julie Ranae said...

Oh my word, Deb! This is fantastic...just fanTAStic : )

Chris said...

this is gorgeous!! you totally outdid yourself this time...this might have kicked that flower card out of the #1 spot for me...love the jokes too...

Suzi said...

Fantastic project, even better close up. Love it. Thank you for joining us at Creative Inspirations this week, good luck in the draw. Hugs Suzi x

Velta said...

You have got to be the "queen" of detail Deb...love all that I see here...Great shadow box!!

Sarah said...

Fantastic creation beautiful detail, Thanks for joining us at OSAAT good luck in draw
Sarah xx

Sharli said...

Hi Deb! Your shadow box is amazing - and your enthusiasm is infectious! Nice work there!

Yes, I was giggling.

Hugs!

Paula said...

What a fun card, love those dies! Great take on this weeks challenge!
I'm so glad you were able to join us this week at the Stamptacular Sunday Challenge! Be sure to join us next week for our Blog Hop and lots of chances to win prizes! Hope you can join us!
Pleasantly,
Paula

Davi said...

Wowzer Deb, This is sooooo beautiful!! I love the beautiful ladies, fabulous vintage feel and all the great dimension!!!

Vicki C said...

Deb..this is absolutely STUNNING! What a fantastic job you did with this! THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!

my5bratz said...

gorgeous, thanks for joining us at FnF :0)

Allison said...

Beautiful mix of elements...I cannot make this kinda card to save my life!

marcibun said...

Wow! That is STUNNING :)

Sheryl said...

Gorgeous shadow box!! The jokes did make me laugh:) Thanks for playing along at Paper Popsicles!!

Hannah said...

Okay, so I'm laughing for two reasons. For one, those riddles. Gotta love kid jokes. Secondly, when I first read your post title, I thought this was going to be some kind of crafting horror story because I read it as "Fun with...DIES" as in, DEAD. lol. But I'm glad to see that that wasn't the case and that shadow box is gorgeous.

Janneke said...

Awesome!!
Thanks for joining us at SSC this week!

Janneke X

knitwit said...

Great jokes--I'll be sharing those with my 6 year-old!
This is my kind of project. And by that, I mean this is the kind of project I want someone to make FOR me because I'm just not that talented. So awesome!!

Hope Jacare said...

Thanks for playing along at OSAAT this week! You really can never have too much fun with paper =- it's official! A wonderful project - just fabulous! Cheers Claire x

CJ said...

awesome card....you did an awesome job....thanks for joining the OSAAT challenge....good luck...i have become a follower and would love for you to join mine
hugs
cj
cowgirl up stamps
http://stampenwithcj.blogspot.com/
stitchy bear stamps

mommy2lou said...

OH, I like this!!
I'm coming back and I expect MORE fun creations like this one, OKAY??

Good balance and harmony, not just a bunch of stuff thrown together. Inspirational!

Cheryl said...

oh hun this is just so brilliant love it all the detail colurs and such a wonderful layout too bless your heart for joining us at OSAAT love hugs cheryl xxxxx

Liz said...

Simply Stunning Thank you for joing OSAAT challenges

liz x

redwasher1 said...

Deb, your shadow box is just gorgeous!!

Risa said...

I have to use one of your words and say "Wowzers"! Your project is stunning Deb! The vintage and details compliment each other beautifully!!
hugs
Risa:)

Maria Matter said...

what a fabulous project!!! WOWZA Deb, it's just gorgeous! I'll be staring at it just a bit longer.....

Hugs & Blessings, Maria

Sprytebyrd said...

Yea, I smiled :o) Fun jokes! And an absolutely amazing project!
Thanks so much for joining us at Stamptacular Sunday! ♥
Dee (Spryte)

Cathy said...

Stunning card. Thank you for joining in the ABC challenge this time.
Cathy xx

Dragons Lair Designs said...

This is absolutly fantastic i love how much vintage you have in there great job

thankyou for joining us here at OSAAT.

Hugs Janette
Stamping Dragon Designs

Queenie said...

Love anything vintage and this is stunning!
Thanks for joining us over at Creative Inspirations this week and good luck.
Hugs
Tracy
xxx

Donna aka Lil Diva said...

Wow Deb..I so love this card..Thanks for joining in with us this week at Stitchybear stamps.Good luck. Donna aka LilDiva Stamps
http://lildivastamps.blogspot.com/
Stitchybear stamps

Valerie Chmielak said...

That is such a cool card- love it!

Carolyn said...

Deb, this is gorgeous. So much detail. Thanks for joining in at SSC.
Hugs xx
Carolyn

Denise said...

Hi Deb. What an aMAZing project! I'm overwhelmed!! Now... the jokes... another story!! :) Thanks for the giggles. Thanks so much for joining us for the Stamp Something challenge.
Hugs, Denimo

Jen Shults said...

This is amazing! Just wow! I don't have words...

arlsmom aka Lynda said...

Great vacation project! Thanks for playing at Paper Popsicles!

Lorraine A said...

Fabulous creation ;-) very arty and beautiful :-)

thanks for joining the ABC Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Gingersnap Stampers said...

Fantastic piece! Love the vintage look!

Thanks for playing the Gingersnap Creations Copper, Ginger or Rust Challenge!

Gingersnap Stampers said...

Fantastic piece! Love the vintage look!

Thanks for playing the Gingersnap Creations Copper, Ginger or Rust Challenge!

Maureen said...

Really gorgeous piece of ART!! Thanks for playing along with us at Your Next Stamp!

Lora Oliver said...

This is gorgeous!!! It totally makes me think of my Paris vacation a few years ago. Stunning!

Trish Hughes said...

Another stunning project!!! Always love to see what you come up with!!! Thanks so much for joining the HFOS challenge again.
Trish