Monday, March 15, 2010

Playin' with Paint Sample Cards

Pin It


Monday already?!? WowZa, this weekend flew by!!

Today's card project was created for The Play Date Cafe color inspiration challenge, PDCC20. For all of the challenging deets, or a look at the gorgeous inspiration photo, clicky HERE.

Here's the card I created for this challenge:

I stamped my bird collage image on a paint sample card using Staz-On solvent ink. I added some DP, a punched border, some ribbon, and a cute l'il threaded button. Easy-peasy; this stamp did all the work for me!

One thing to note when using paint sample cards for stamping: only solvent ink will ever truly 'dry' on these slippery things. Set your stamped paint sample card aside to dry ... preferably overnight ... or, blast it with your heat gun for a minute or twenty.

TIP
: a quick way to determine if your it-looks-like-its-dry paint sample card image is dry, is to stamp a duplicate image, or part of the image, using the same ink on a similar paint sample card and periodically check it. With your finger ... or, someone else's finger. If you're fingerless, a Q-Tip works too.

For all of the heart-pounding product info, check out the Card Recipe, below.

And while we're on the "heart-pounding" subject, we've been havin' a TON of rain here in So. Florida ... 12 inches to be exact, and when it finally stopped late on Sunday, Sheila and I decided to swim run out to do some grocery shopping.

As we were leaving the store, we noticed that a thick fog had rolled in. We couldn't see a thing a foot in front of us and we both noticed it was eerily quiet. Kinda spooky, kwim?

We gave each other a "well, this is weird" look and then headed over to where we thought we had parked the car. After loading the groceries in the trunk, I started the car and put it in gear. Nothing. The car didn't budge. Okay. So, I put it in park again and then in drive and ... nothing. Weird. I tried again. Still nothing.

Suddenly, I began to recall John Carpenter's, "The Fog," and Stephen King's "The Mist." My mind filled with images of murderous undead pirates, deadly giant insects, and scary monsters from some bizarre dimension that man was not meant to discover.

I hate to admit it, but I began to panic. With my heart-pounding, I think, "omigosh, we're trapped for-evuh in the Twilight Zone!"

It was right about then that Sheila said, "Deb, you're an idiot: you've got it in neutral."

Thanks so much for spending part of your busy day with me!

~Hugs,


Today's Challenges:

Card Recipe:
  • Card Stock: Bazzill
  • Designer Paper: Unknown Scrap
  • Other: Paint Sample Card from Lowe's
  • Stamp: Bird Collage by Oxford Impressions
  • Ink: "Jet Black" Staz-On Solvent Ink
  • Accessories: Grosgrain Ribbon; Mini Button
  • Tools: Heat Gun; Arch Lattice Border Punch by MS; Stampin' Dimensionals and SNAIL Adhesive by Stampin' Up
  • Finished Size: 5 1/2" x 4 1/4"
Shop for Stampin' Up products online ... 24/7 ... HERE

If you have any questions about Stampin' Up products or stamping techniques, feel free to contact me HERE.

51 comments:

Jodene Tripp said...

This is so cool! I love the colours :)

Linda Ledbetter said...

I love this piece, and I love your storytelling! Great blog!

Risa said...

Your card is beautiful Deb, I love your color combo!
hugs
Risa:)

Julie Ranae said...

Beautiful interpretation of this week's colors, Deb! Your stories are always so fun to read. You sound just like me when it comes to strange circumstances. It doesn't take long for my mind to start making things up.

I think most of us blog writers are frustrated fiction writers at heart!

Suzanne C said...

Adorable card! I too enjoyed your story. Made me think maybe you were in the wrong car. :) Have tried getting into the wrong card more than once. :)

{Jane} said...

Gorgeous

Thanks for joining us on SCSC :)

Hugs Jane x

Elena said...

You have the best ideas, Deb! Really like what you did with this paint sample!

Tina said...

What a fun way to highlight the image. So genius!

Spyder said...

Love ly card Deb, very nice image, thank you for joining the Quirky Craft's 'button' challenge, hope to see you next Sunday for the new challenge!
(Lyn)

Audrey said...

Very Very pretty. I love that image. Thanks for joining us at Pile It On.

Lisa Somerville said...

Beautiful card, love the stamping on the paint sample. Thanks for playing with the PDCC.

Allison said...

You always have a little something going on with you creations to make them unique amongst the pack...love this idea and I have so many stolen paint chips to use!

Cheryl said...

Wonderful card! I completely forgot about my stash of paint chips. You have inspired me to dig them out again.

redwasher1 said...

Well your card is just over the top gorgeous!!

Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

WOW ... this is awesome Deb!! Thanks for all the details!! Thanks for joining us at Saturday Spotlight!!

chelemom said...

How clever! This came out beautifully!

Stephanie said...

Great job and I just love your story! Thanks for joining us at Scrappy Frogs ... and thanks for the tips!! Hugs, Stephanie

Kat said...

Thanks for joining us at TG with this sweet card.

Kat x

Kelly said...

great card!

Kylie said...

This is a gorgeous card - I love the bird image! Pretty colurs.

Thanks for joining us at Creatalicious this month
Kylie.

Sharli said...

Neato card Deb! Thanks for the tip about how to tell if the image is dry - "if you're fingerless . . ."
You {{Crack}} me up!! LOL

I've done that with the car. It's embarassing!

Hugs!

Stephanie Kraft said...

Just beautiful! It may have been easy-peasy, but the effect is just gorgeous!! Thanks for playing with the PDCC!

Brenda said...

Totally beautiful Deb! Thank you for the tip about the ink, I have been wanting to try this for awhile.

Penny said...

What a brilliant take on the creatalicous theme this month!
Penny

Chris said...

ok, i was totally thinking of the movie, the fog. my dad called it the frog. but it was way spooky when the monsters came out of the fog...i would have been scared, scared enough to put my car in neutral for sure!!!

btw, cute card!! love the spring-y-ness!!

The Creative Cottage said...

such a pretty card love the colour combo and that beautiful image.
thanks for joining this weeks creative cottage challenge, i hope you will join us again next week
Tracy x

Becky said...

Wow! So beautiful!!
Thanks so much for joining us for our first challenge at The Creative Cottage, hoping to see you again next week!
Love Becky xx

Firenze said...

Oh my it is so pretty! TFS
Helen -- Firenze Cards

*Vicki* said...

Oh how clever to use a paint sample for the slick challenge!! :) I love it!! the colors and image are brilliant!! Thanks for playing along with us at Saturday Spotlight this week!HUGS

freckleface said...

Love the colours you’ve chosen…thanks for joining us this week at TG… Debs

craftymum said...

A "sweet" card. Thanks for joining us at TG
Love Sarah W XXX

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

WOW--great card. That bird image is beautiful! TFS:) And thanks for playing along with us at the PDCC!

Abby said...

Lovely card...the colors are so soft and beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing your creation with us at Creatilicious!

Abby:)

knitwit said...

Repurposing paint samples--now that's my kind of craft!!
I think we may have left the rain and fog behind when we left Tallahassee the other week. Sorry 'bout that...

Chrissy C said...

WOW that is stunning! I would have never thought to stamp on paint sample cards! Great job. Thanks for joining us at Scrappy Frogs.

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Love your story! I live in Miami and we've had almost no rain and really need some. Was in Boca all day Saturday and it was beautiful there too. Must have rain just specially for you!! Love your card and the tip on stamping a second paint chip to test for dryness. Terrific idea. Great job on the "pastel" challenge. So happy you could have some fun with us at Pile it On this week.

Sarah Anderson said...

i can imagine that fog was very scary; i did exactly the same thing with my car a few weeks ago, it was on it's last legs and i finally thought it had given up when it wouldn't go - i had it in neutral!!
fab card, never guessed it was a paint sample
thanks for playing along so regularly at the pdcc, i love looking out for your cards :)

LINDA said...

Such a Beautiful card!! Thanks for joining us at Creatalicous,
Hugs, Linda

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

I love the colors and the stripes with the spring feel Deb!! Awesome take on the slick challenge. Thanks for joining us at the Sat. Spotlight.

Bonibleaux Designs said...

I LOVE this idea!! I have so many of the paint chip cards floating around from our house renovation projects. I am so going to pull them out! Beautiful!

Nana said...

Wow fab card, gorgeous color combo, you got it all stop on! Thank you for joining us at Crazy challenge

Caro said...

Gorgeous card and I love the idea..must try it some time soon! Thanks for joining Quirky crafts

Brooke S said...

Thanks for joining us this week at Cinema Saturday.
Great card!
HUGS
BROOKE

Maria Matter said...

Hi Deb!
this is gorgeous and the paint chips are not only slick, their brilliant!
lovely job!!!
Hugs & blessings, Maria

Elena said...

What a fun and cheerful card! Really love this cat image!

Sankari W. said...

Fun card! thanks for playing along with us over at the Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge blog! Big hugs!
Sankari :)

Trish Hughes said...

Wow very stunning!!! Thanks so much for playing along with HFOS.
Trish

Sheri said...

Your card is so stinking cute..and your "spooky" story gave me such a chuckle. Too funny..You remind me of...me! LOl Thanks so much for joining the ScrappyFrogsChallenge

Bec said...

Gorgeous card. thanks for joining us at BBCC..

Cheryl said...

Gorgeous,such a beautiful image and pretty colours!!! Thanks for joining us at Creatalicious!!
xx

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Gorgoeus! LOVE these colors!