Saturday, July 26, 2008

Walnut Ink Resist ... Using a Mini Mask

Pin It


Happy Saturday, boys and girls! I don't know about you, but I've loved Saturdays since I was a little kid ... 'cuz Saturday mornings meant just one thing: cartoons! Which has absolutely nothing to do with my post ... but when have I ever let that stop me!

Today's card project was created as an experiment: I wanted to see if I could create a mask resist using a Heidi Swapp mini-mask and walnut ink. As always, if you'd like a ginormous closer look, simply click on the photo.

I placed the mask on Xerox 110# card stock and sprayed on buckets (not really), of walnut ink. I like to really saturate the card stock, allowing the ink to pool up around the mask. Doing so, creates lots of kewl splotches and blotches of color making for a more interesting background.

In spite of the instructions, I left the mask in place overnight while the ink dried; when I removed it, I was really pleased with the results. I was afraid that the mask would allow the ink to seep underneath, ruining the project, but it held up just fine to my buckets (not really), of walnut ink. In fact, very little ink bled under the mask and, as an experiment, I touched up some areas with a Ranger Inkssentials opaque white pen. It blended in perfectly!

I created some flowers with craft punches, stamped and white heat embossed a sentiment, and attached a card stock bracket to the bottom of the card. Finally, I added a dot of Stickles in the center of each flower for some bling.

TIP: Always save the sheet your push-out die-cuts come in; you can easily trace new "die cuts" using the leftover negatives!

I'm pretty pleased with this technique and will definitely be trying it again with other mini-masks. If you create a mask-resist background, leave a comment and a link-up; I'd love to see your project!

Thanks so much for spending part of your busy weekend with me!

~Hugs,


Card Stock: Xerox 110#, CutCardStock; Designer Paper: "County Fair" Collection by October Afternoon; Stamp: Sentiment from Papertrey Ink; "Bird" Mini-Mask by Heidi Swapp; Ink: Versamark Watermark; Fine White Embossing Powder by Powder Keg; Walnut Ink: 7gypsies; White Opaque Pen: "Inkssentials" by Ranger Industries; Stickles by Ranger Industries; Various Craft Punches; File Tab Punch: Stampin' Up!; Adhesive: Scotch ATG 714, Scrap Fusion PA by Ivy Scraps

12 comments:

Theresa said...

Awesome card! This is the first time I have seen that technique. Do you mind telling me what product you use for the masking and where to buy it?

Love the badge at the bottom of your post. That should be my motto. lol

Annapurna said...

Turned out lovely. Love the popped flowers too.

Experiment? All my creations are experiments :-)

Now I am sold on the walnut ink. Ahhhh! too much to buy and too little space to put them in.

Tonniece said...

That's it Deb, I'm stealing you and Mel, well maybe I'll steal Mel and we will both come live with you.(Palm Beach.... yummmm) I want to play and watch cartoons too.

I love this technique, it's so stunning, and this card is to die for.

Enjoy your week end, and get our rooms ready.LOL

Happy Saturday to you.

julie king said...

it is adorable . . . you know how i love birds!!

wendyp said...

very pretty! And I just love that chocolate brown and aqua together!

I tried this recently with chalk and a deer dingbat. Such a fun technique and there are so many dingbats out there that you can use to create a mask with. Fun!!!

Allison said...

Gorgeous Deb...you work wonders with this technique!

Jennifer (SCS: jennifer-g) said...

No, YOU rock!!

I have something for you on my blog. Come see!

malieta said...

Your card is very beautiful Deb!
In my opinion, the small amount of walnut ink that bled, gives the tree branches a very realistic look and I love the effect around the bird also.
I love it!!!!

Erica B. said...

Oooh this is my favorite of the whole week. Besides the awesome mask and colors you used I love the shadows inside of the flowers. Beautiful...

Mel M. M. M. said...

Amazing technique! This is just flippin' beautiful. How 'bout some good ol' fashioned swinging (LOL): you marry my card and I'll marry this one. Though I'd be gettin the better deal, since this has the world's neatest technique & texture. (I'm stoked to try it since I have walnut ink, but I have no mask, so maybe I can do an emboss resist with that walnut ink...) You are SOOOOOoooooooooooo inspirational. Thanks! invisahugs (hugs you can't see until they git you hehehehe) :0) P.S. Those flowers are to die for!!!

Anne said...

Oh Swoooon!!! This is fabulous!! The colours are just wonderful together and the technique is now at the top of my "must try soon" list!!! I absolutely love this - the walnut staining is brilliant!! :o) xx

Simon Says Stamp said...

Breathtaking! Simply gorgeous, you are a creative genious!