Thursday, August 28, 2008

O, Joy. A Joyful Card Opening Technique ...

Pin It



Does anyone have any idea why this card is called a "Joy Fold" card? I mean, it was fun and all, but fell w-a-y short of being a "joy." Successfully completed childbirth is a "joy." This was more like a "not unpleasant" card fold ...

You can find the joyous directions for this card on Splitcoast Stampers. Click HERE for all the joyful deets.

The top photo shows a full frontal; oh, joy!

This ^ is the partially-open-joyful-view.

There are a variety of different ways you can create the closure for this joyful card; I used BasicGrey magnetic closure snaps. The round silver object you see on the left is one piece of the said magnetic snap closure set.

TIP: To easily match up your magnetic snaps, attach one to your card stock in the desired position. Attach the second magnet to the first, and mark the back of the second magnet with chalk or a charcoal pencil, then close. The chalk or charcoal will leave a faint mark on the exact position where the second magnet should be adhered.

FUN FACT: Snappin' this card closed IS a joy! The fun is only achieved by using magnetic snaps, though ...



Joyous semi-interior view ^.




Joyous full interior view ^. The round silver disc you see on the right is the other piece of the magnetic snap closure set.

I created my "Joy Fold" card using "Blue Bayou" card stock from Stampin' Up!; the DP is from Daisy D.

My sentiment was stamped with Brilliance ink and cut with a die from Spellbinder's "Ribbon Tags" collection, then threaded with grosgrain ribbon and mounted on dimensionals.

Oh Joy.

Hey, quick question: Why do croutons come in airtight packages? Isn't it just stale bread to begin with? Food for thought ...

Anyway ... thanks so much for spending part of your busy day with me!

~Hugs,

  • Card Stock: "Blue Bayou" by Stampin' Up!
  • Designer Paper: Daisy D's Paper Company
  • Stamp: "Simple Little Things" by Papertrey Ink
  • Ink: "Graphite Black" Brilliance by Tsukineko
  • Accessories: Magnetic Closure Snaps by BasicGrey; Grosgrain Ribbon; Derwent Charcoal Pencil
  • Tools: Die-Cut Machine; Ribbon Tag Die by Spellbinder's; Scrap Fusion PA; Black Dimensionals

PS: I've added more stamps, stamping magazines, and kewl stamp catalogs to my eBay store inventory. Most auctions are starting at just .99 with low shipping; click HERE to go to my store and see if you can find a treasure or three. Now THIS is joy!

19 comments:

Julia Aston said...

Very fun card! beautiful DP's on this and love the ribbon - nice fold - maybe a girl named Joy was the original designer???

and quick answer - stale croutons will get soggy if left in the air (!?)

Tina said...

What a fun card. Don't ya just love those Basic Grey magentic snaps...super handy!

Annapurna said...

Oh what a joy! Reading your post gave me joy, so there you achieved the goal.

Lovely colors and card. Very coordinated and well done.

They don't want stale bread to become unstale. Defeats the whole purpose right?LOL!

I am posting this comment from my google reader using Allison's links. You should start using the reader now, really.

Off to checkout your auctions.

Dianne said...

Hey Deb
Your cards are wonderful, really all of them. I absolutly love how you display all the cards with all the matching acessories, very artistic display..
Tonnieces friend Dianne

Tonniece said...

A JOY to behold it is. LOL

On a more serious note it is lovely as always Deb. These colors are so rich, LOVE IT, And of course
that joyous fold makes my knees buckle.

thanks yet again for my morning chuckle.

Have a bright and happy Thursday

scrapnnMO said...

Oh my what a beautiful card! Totally dig the way this folds up! Such pretty colors/papers! :)

Have a lovely day!

Carolyn Bounds said...

Oooo! Pretty!! I love the bold, cheerful colors. Another one of Deb's dazzling creations:o) You know I love ALL your work!!!

Allison said...

Gorgeous lady...great paper! They Joy fold card is named after Joy of eclectic paperie who designed it. Now ya know...

mochamama said...

this is an awesome card that anyone would have fun with!

patty w said...

Very pretty !

Maria said...

Oh, my! I definitely gotta try this out! It's way, way cool and your card is way, way pretty. I love it. I love the dp and the beautiful colors of your card. Well done!

Maria

Joanne (Stamps4sanity) said...

Very cool layout! Please go to my blog to recieve an award I have bestouded upon you. Thanks. You truly inspire me and I'm so glad I "met" you!(((hugs)))

Carolyn Bounds said...

Hey there, Dazzling Deb!!! I have a surprise for you on my blog:o) Wish it were money, but alas it is not.

Hugs!
Carolyn

E.T said...

Too much joy huh? LOL
The papers are wonderful. I just discovered your blog and right after this comment I will be hovering around a bit.
I should try this card, but I dont think it will close without those magnetic disks. Gotta get some of those. Will two way tape do?

Debbie Olson said...

Gorgeous colors and paper--and I *think* that the Joy fold had something to do with Joy from Ecelectic Paperie. For some reason, Cambria Turnbow also comes to mind though. Regardless--lovely card!

Lori said...

Hey Deb! Thanks for the inspiration... I had missed that tutorial on SCS. So I'm glad you did this card. I had a lot of fun with this!!! (Just posted my version on my blog...)

Mel M. M. M. said...

I think it must be a joy to open, but only because you made it look so HOT! (and the snap!) Just stunning! I love the way you did the tab and that paper is dreamy dahlink! :o) OXO

malieta said...

Your card is very lovely Deb and as always, visiting your blog is a "joy"!
I'm on my way to visit your store:)

Curt in Carmel said...

This card is a JOY to look at, that' for sure! The colors are wonderful! I need to give this one a try! Best, Curt