Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Yum! Green Birthday Cake!!

Pin It


Hey, green cake is better than no cake, right?!?

So, the "Miss Universe" pageant was this past weekend and I swear it's fixed ... the winner is always from Earth!

Today's bright and summery-ish card project was created using scraps of designer paper, scraps of grosgrain ribbon, and scraps of paint sample cards. Wait. Is this a scrapbook L-O or a card? Yup, it's a card, I just checked.

TIP #1: When shopping in Lowe's or The Home Depot, go to the paint department and snag yourself some paint sample cards. You can use these in all of your stamping, card making, and paper crafting projects. The price is right (free), the colors are amazing, and they come in lots of different textures and finishes!

I stamped, then heat set, my image on two paint sample cards, then pieced them back together and mounted the pieced image on a scallop edge mat. I wrapped grosgrain ribbons around my DP, tied on a matching scraps to create bows, added three buttons, and finis!

TIP#2: Want to have button thread that always matches your project? Well, duh, of course ya do! Using a paper cutter (I use a guillotine cutter for this) cut off super skinny strips from your DP. Then, thread the paper strip though your button holes, and glue in place. Looks like thread, doesn't it?!? It'll be our li'l secret ...

Until tomorrow, I leave you to think on this: when you put "THE" and "IRS" together, it spells "THEIRS" ...

~Hugs,


Card Stock: Bazzill
Designer Paper: Unknown
Stamp: studio g
Ink: Brilliance "Graphite Black" by Tsukineko
Accessories: Grosgrain Ribbon, Paint Sample Cards, Buttons
Tools: Die-Cut Machine, Square / Scallop Dies by Spellbinder's, Scrap Fusion PA, The Ultimate Glue, Black Dimensionals

8 comments:

malieta said...

Green cake and all, your card is really cute!!!
Thanks for all the tips Deb, I have to try the tip for buttons!

Tina said...

You are entirely too funny! Love the green cake, kinda like green eggs and ham!!

Annapurna said...

Very nice! I love the color combination, even though I have never seen you use such bright colors before.

Here I am having trouble using one ribbon and you used 3 ribbons. Wowza. Did Curt send you this DP? Looks a lot like the card he sent ya:-)

You are genius, when it comes to inventing techniques. I am so doing the paper thread. I don't use buttons, because I am bored of finding thread and needle and then the right color too.

What is up with the green cake, are you trying to feed it to the green aliens who didn't win or get to participate in the miss universe.

Awesome! Everything we earn is theirs, so true.

Gosh I will quit now, before you stop talking to me :-)

Kelly C. said...

Deb,
I am a stalker of your blog and I have to say, I love your stuff!

And today when I saw your new header...WOW, is it ever cute!

Keep up the good work! I have to tell you, the way you photograph your cards is so professional and appealing...a little glitz & sparkle here & there really make the pix. Can I ask how you get the perfect lighting without any shadows?

Thanks so much!

Chris said...

great card, quinn's fave color is green so he would have no problem with eating that!!! LOL

Deb Neerman said...

This is in response to Kelly's question, above. I have no contact info, so I hope you check here.

How? I use a large sheet of Bristol paper, connect both sides together using ribbon. That's the short version; for the long version
please contact me via my email addy ... there's a link on my right side-bar.

Julia Aston said...

How bright and fun this card is - SUPAH tip on the button 'thread' - cle-vah girl!!!

Jennifer (SCS: jennifer-g) said...

I love your words as much as your pretty pictures. aww....

The question is, is Green Cake as good as Green Eggs & Ham? Because my DS #1 asked for those for breakfast the other day - perhaps I could distract him with green cake and try to avoid the food poisioning joyride of green eggs & ham? Yum.